Users with HDMI Issues

That was my suspicion at first, but I have in the past tried unplugging and replugging into the same socket without success. Only moving to a different socket fixes the problem. (Though I will try this again next time, just to be sure.)

Also, when the "system" is in this problem state, turning on the TV and then the Fox almost always works, whereas turning on the Fox and then the TV almost never works. If there was a general communications issue due to a bad connection, I would expect it to be equally unreliable in both "directions".

I occasionally get no video when I start up my HD-FOX and Qumi projector - sometimes breaking and remaking the HDMI link gets it going (not always), usually I just press the HD-FOX's reset button (which has always fixed it).

I actually experienced a full green screen yesterday, with the out-on-loan HDR-FOX and a Samsung UE32EH5000. The user had brought both units up (macro function on a Harmony) and got a "no signal" on the TV - before I could diagnose the problem she just tried a restart the only way she knew how and returned the units to standby with the Harmony macro, then pressed it again - resulting in a flash of live video and then a green screen. Clearly this was an induced sync problem, but may shed some light.

Rather than mess around, I intervened by powering off the HDR-FOX at the back and then powering it on again - when it booted normal service was restored. I did not bother with a controlled shut-down, and curiously it did not go into standby after the cold boot.

I have the Hummy going through a Denon amp to a 2013 Panasonic TV. I use a Harmony to control them all. I find that when I turn them all on from standy - and so all 3 are turning on at the same time, I nearly always get no signal from the Humax (black screen and no sound). I find the easiest way to fix it is to turn the Hummy off and on again (even if recording at the time so not really turning off). One day I may get round to sorting some kind of delay on the Harmony to make sure the Humax turns on last.

I haven't cold booted anything in a while, but there was a power cut a few weeks back and it didn't make any difference.

I also find that the lip sync varies and I haven't quite pinned it down yet. I did think it was a bit random and would change with reboots, but I am now thinking that it could be related to live vs playback and 2 vs 5.1 channel sound. I am guessing it is presumably some kind of HDMI sync issue though.

In addition to adding a delay to your harmony remote macro, you could also try re-ordering the sequence e.g. the TV commands . . . the AV Amp. commands . . . the Humax commands

I did check the order and the Humax is last, but the TV takes a lot longer to turn on so I think that is the cause of the problem. It may behave better if it is Amp, Humax then TV but I'm not sure how the whole HDMI sync process works when there are 3 items all syncing together like that.

I expect there are power saving features I could turn off on the TV (or HDMI features I coudl turn on) that may help as well.

It is one of those little annoyances that are so minor I haven't bothered to spend much time looking at it yet. One day I probably will.

Does the Humax link to the TV if the amp is off? Probably not. If it is anything like an HDMI matrix switch it will be establishing the link independently on its input and output, and then passing the data between the two. If so, you could get the TV and the Humax up and running, and then turn on the amp to link the two.

Does the Humax link to the TV if the amp is off? Probably not. If it is anything like an HDMI matrix switch it will be establishing the link independently on its input and output, and then passing the data between the two. If so, you could get the TV and the Humax up and running, and then turn on the amp to link the two.
You are right. I have the amp set not to pass through when it is turned off (as it saves quite a bit of power) so power cycling the amp also gets the connection working. When I sit down to play with it there are a fair few settings on devices and re-ordering on the Harmony I can try. It is odd that it is only a problem on the Humax - not the BluRay or WiiU. I presume everyone's implementation of HDMI is slightly different hence we get odd issues like this.

To bring this back on topic... :)

I'm one of the users with regular HDMI issues - it will work fine for a few months, then become extremely unreliable. Moving to another HDMI socket fixes the problem for a few months, then it returns. I have just tried a reset of the "cookie and DRM data" but unfortunately this did not make any difference, even after a reboot of the Fox. So a good suggestion, but probably not actually helpful.

Same story here - sometimes moving to another HDMI socket works, other times it doesn't. Moving sockets didn't work today so, having seen this thread, switched over to a scart connection where the Hummy was working fine and I was able to go through the reset cookie & DRM data. Sadly, same result - still no signal on the HDMI socket. The only cure was switching off at the back and re-booting.

Last edited:
Only had my Humax for 6 weeks, so still learning.
Different equipment but may be helpful.
I have a Bush PVR connected to a Samsung TV. If I bring the Bush out of standby before the TV I will sometimes get a blank screen or picture/no sound.
I found disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI lead at the Bush (easiest to get to) cured the problem.
I got fed up with not always remembering to bring the TV out of standby first and sometimes needing to power cycle the PVR or disconnect the HDMI lead, so out of interest I connected a cheap Ebay 3 into 1 HDMI switch I had (old TV only had 1 HDMI socket) inline with the Bush PVR. This has cured my problem, and as there is only one input connected to the switch it is automatically selected.
In my case this buffering action or whatever is occuring has solved my problem 100%. Don't know if this is any use with your Humax problems ? But as they are available for about £2 or so might be worth trying!

Last edited:
Placing an HDMI switch of some sort between Humax and TV has been reported to help in some cases, but it is generally assumed that this is due to the switch terminating the HDMI signals on it's inputs and re-generating the HDMI handshaking to the TV on it's output, as would happen on say an AV Amplifier. However I would guess that a £2 three to one HDMI switch would not be doing any HDMI handshake re-generation, so it's hard to see why it helps

It could just be altering the timing of events on the signal lines to somehow avoid a lock-up.

All I know is I can turn the PVR on for as long as I like before the TV and I always get a picture with sound.
If it is of use, here is the product brief/ block diagram sheet for the IC used inside my switch:

Attachments

• Parade_PS331-Product-Brief.pdf
    115.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I would say the PS331 is re-generating HDMI handshaking on it's output, I am a bit surprised that you can get a box with 4 HDMI sockets AND an I.C. in it for £2, I was expecting something much more basic

EDIT

Maybe you could supply details of where the 3 -to-1 switch can be obtained, it seems like a very cheap solution to the problem

Last edited:
That's amazing, I feel like ordering one even though I have no real need for it. I see Amazon are selling something that looks the same for £13 (Link HERE)

Had our first ever green screen last night. I'd put the box and TV to standby (box still recording) for half an hour and when I poked them back to life it was very green indeed.
I tried cycling the box, the TV and the HDMI switch (which connects to the second HDR) and also did a bit of HDMI plug wiggling to no avail. The other box was fine, so it did seem to be just that HDR or it's cable.
Unfortunately it was recording for another hour, so we had to abandon the planned watching. After it had finished I power-cycled it and it worked again.

One possibly interesting thing (though most likely pure coincidence) is that one of the recordings being made at the time was BBC3 HD and ended up being 'enc'd'/scrambled (fixencflags sorted it). The other recording on BBC4 (SD) was OK.

I just hope this is not going to become a regular thing.

I bought one too and it switched ok but when I got around to using the connected Blu-ray, there was sound but no video, the FoxT2 being ok. I de-powered to reset but still the same. I've binned it.

Back