Using a timed mains switch

The only reason I mentioned it is because a) Raydon got the time wrong, and b) the term "housekeeping" could be taken to imply some essential process which must not be interfered with, especially as Raydon indicated such in the post. As far as I knew there are no essential processes which run at 3am (or indeed 4.30am), but I am willing to be wrong hence the request for clarification.

It wouldn't matter who had posted, my response would have been similar - we must constantly bear in mind that there could be inexperienced readers unable to filter wheat from chaff for themselves. Even after consideration, I do not regard my quest for clear and correct information to be unjustified, and I object to it being labelled as such.
As much as I appreciate your help I, in this instance, believe to be neutral and as such your intention with that post has at least 95% the substance of what is called commonly as taking a jibe. All you are doing now is trying to repair somewhat but because it's after the event it's full of holes which raydon has already observed.

any newbie being told there is maintenance would just take it and frankly not be interested in it at all except that it takes place overnight.

Wallace: how long have you had yours?

I have had mine for a couple of years. Belkin do still update the firmware, which is good to know. At least they support them!

Back