Using HD-Fox T2 without an aerial

Great - thanks for the confirmation. :cool:

Sidenote: I'm surprised how painless the whole process has been. I should have done it years ago. :rolleyes:

Right all the installing is done, and I've added the NTPclient package to the HD-Fox.
The easy way to get a link working is to install the foxlink package at each end, or for more configuration options install samba (or nfs-utils) on the HDR-FOX and network-shares-automount on the HD-FOX. For configuring network-shares-automount see HERE (click).

Sidenote: I'm surprised how painless the whole process has been. I should have done it years ago. :rolleyes:
It wasn't quite so painless years ago.

Thanks for the info. I'm just heading to work so will have a proper read of the link (and hopefully set up) tonight. At first glance Foxlink looks the most straightforward, but will have a look through the site for past posts about the network shares method.

The lack of pain during install is certainly helped by the amount of information and guides, so kudos to everyone for putting those together, and not forgetting praise for the custom firmware that is really very simple to use (which is never an easy thing).

Just a quick update... I decided to go down the Foxlink route for streaming as network shares seemed a tad overkill for my needs.

The streaming all works really well, but I'm having a slight issue with the recursive auto-decrypt. :(

There is a folder of (HD) Top Gear episodes that won't decrypt. Looking in the logs, the error being produced after each attempt is:

25/05/2014 07:10 - DLNA: http://127.0.0.1:9000/web/media/2058.TS
25/05/2014 07:35 - /media/My Video/Top Gear/Top Gear_20130804_1959.ts - File did not decrypt properly.
25/05/2014 07:35 - DECRYPT: /media/My Video/Top Gear/Top Gear_20130714_2000

I'm not concerned about getting them decrypted as they won't be streamed, but the stubborn Humax just won't give up trying and seems to be stuck in a loop.

Do I need to change the flag manually or is there another reason?

To confirm, you do have the auto-unprotect package installed? Is it just one programme, or all of them in that folder? If the latter try creating a new folder and move the programmes in to it. If it still fails, ensuring that the 'enc' flag has been removed by auto-unprotect, try copying the programmes to an external USB drive using the 'opt+' move/copy option with the remote control. This is another way of decrypting. If this works OK, copy back to the internal hard drive, check that the programmes have the green 'Dec' flag and try and play on the remote machine from the network share.

The above might work but won't tell you what is causing the problem. Someone else may be able to solve the issue by suggesting diagnostics to run.

A big thank you. Going through the packages, it turns out that auto-unprotect wasn't installed even though I thought I had when working through the guide.

Again I feel like a dufus, but really appreciate everyone's help. :)

auto-unprotect is only necessary for HiDef recordings, and I seem to recall you said you only wanted to do StDef which may be why you left it off.

If a HiDef recording could not be decrypted because the flags were in the wrong state, it would be a fault in the WebIF auto system to attempt a decrypt anyway (although, if it did attempt one, it would probably fail in the manner reported).

Is there a bug, af123? It would not be unreasonable this has not been found before, because almost everyone would have auto-unprotect running.

Indeed... I hadn't realised that there was a folder of HD content on the device.

I thought I had installed auto-unprotect during setup anyway, but it turns out I hadn't. :oops:

The HDR is now happily decrypting the files, and no more error messages or loop.

Back