V Format Options

hummybee

Hi all

Video Resolution (V-Format, see page 12 of the manual) options are 576i,576p,720p,1080i and 1080p.

I use 1080p but ideally would prefer to have the additional option of ‘Original (no processing)’ to allow my TV to carry out all necessary up scaling/processing.

I doubt it is possible to add this via the CF but no harm in asking, just in case.

The Custom Firmware is limited to working in certain areas of the unit and in this case I doubt even Humax could add this feature, as it would probably require different hardware, i.e. a different Broadcom video processor

Thanks Ezra Pound.

Can't really complain as feeding my TV 1080p gives an excellent picture even with SD content.

If you have a 1080-capable TV then the screen has 1920x1080 pixels. Something, somewhere, has to take whatever is coming in from the broadcast and convert it to a 1920x1080 raster. It might as well be the Humax as anything else.

The is a school of thought that says let the TV do the upscaling because its algorithms will be optimized for the physical characteristics of the display panel, but as there is no option to tell it to send everything through in the native form, I just select the 1080p option for everything. I agree with hummybee, SD content output at 1080p looks fine on my TV too. You also have the added bonus of the on-screen menus, TV guide, infobar etc being HD and looking much nicer. It would be nice if it output non-16:9 content correctly to allow the TV to decide how to handle it, but this isn't really a problem these days since almost everything (worth watching) is 16:9 anyway.

It would be nice if it output non-16:9 content correctly to allow the TV to decide how to handle it, but this isn't really a problem these days since almost everything (worth watching) is 16:9 anyway.
It does do a reasonable job when the Humax is set to 16:9 pillarbox, or am I missing the point?

My plasma native screen is 720 so I have the box downscaling to 720p which looks better, whilst BBC iPlayer are 720 so if you watch a lot of that then a 1080 I or P is upscaling and then downscales to 720 for my plasma.

I tend to think you match the Humax off to your best TV native screen not what the TV can up or downscale. So as others leave the work to the Humax.

Thanks, I'll give pillarbox a try and see how I get on with it. I always avoided this setting when I had my old TV (non-HD, CRT) because you're effectively losing horizontal resolution (I think). Instead I would use auto mode and the Humax would send the widescreen switching signal out through the SCART so the TV would automatically show 16:9 full screen and 4:3 with the black bars (the TV would be receiving the full horizontal resolution). The widescreen signal doesn't seem to work through HDMI so with the TV in Auto it will always think it's receiving a 4:3 picture and stretch the side edges out rather than stretching the whole picture evenly like it should for 16:9. However as I'm now using an HD TV and the Humax is upscaling , I guess I wouldn't be losing any horizontal resolution!

Back