Beta [vbigdisk] Very large disk size spoof

Status
Not open for further replies.

af123

Administrator
Staff member
This is an experimental package which should convince the Humax firmware that an internal disk is no larger than 4TB in size and has no more than 4TB of free space.

Assuming you have opkg-beta installed, just opkg install vbigdisk and reboot...

If your internal disk is 4TB or under, you won't notice any change.

Out of curiosity, how does that help? It's not much use having a (say) 6TB drive in there if the Humax decides it's full with 4TB of content. Might just as well limit the formatting at 4TB.

To the Humax software, it will appear to be a 4TB disk with 4TB of free space until there is less than 4TB of free space. Then it will still appear as a 4TB disk but with decreasing free space which will at this point match the real free space on the disk.

I did think of scaling the free space so it was mapped onto the available 4TB space, but there's an advantage in having that last 4TB represented properly I think..

Last edited:
Apart from the interposition stuff, the code is effectively just:

C:
        if (st->f_blocks > 973568443)
                st->f_blocks = 973568443;
        if (st->f_bfree > 973568443)
                st->f_bfree = 973568443;

How did you derive that magic number?
It's the total number of blocks on the media partition of a 4TB drive formatted with gptf..

Bash:
humax# stat -f /mnt/hd2
  File: "/mnt/hd2"
    ID: 0        Namelen: 255     Type: ext2/ext3
Block size: 4096       Fundamental block size: 4096
Blocks: Total: 973568443  Free: 488623555  Available: 488623555
Inodes: Total: 3804288    Free: 3767726

We know this works and makes the standard interface report a 4TB disk

As an initial observation I get the attached (which shows a blank segment) when first opening WebIf. It resolves itself within a second or two.
Capture30-03-2018-14.44.28.jpg

Would you like someone (me) to install it on a 1tb machine to check that it has no impact ?
Yes please : )
It has had no obvious impact that I could discern. However today the disk had 8 Current_Pending_Sectors and 8 Offline_Uncorrectables. Fixdisk sorted them out but is it possible that vbigdisk may have somehow caused this ?
I will remove the package anyway as I have no need of it.

However today the disk had 8 Current_Pending_Sectors and 8 Offline_Uncorrectables. Fixdisk sorted them out but is it possible that vbigdisk may have somehow caused this ?
Yes, in the same way that a leaky kettle makes a pool of oil underneath your car.

Like.
"No" would have been more succinct and easier to write, but then you would have been accused of being curt.:roflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back