Very, really very, short recordings

MikeSh

Not sure if this is a box of broadcaster problem, so I've posted in the Freeview section.
Our Aura box has now had at least three recordings that have started but immediately ended ... as in 3 to 6 seconds. The latest two are both C4 as the few seconds are of their 'walking metal 4'. One was a single recording, the other the last episode of a series (of course).

Anyone else?
SWMBO is not happy, so the box could soon be going on a trip ...

Not sure if this is a box of broadcaster problem, so I've posted in the Freeview section.
Our Aura box has now had at least three recordings that have started but immediately ended ... as in 3 to 6 seconds. The latest two are both C4 as the few seconds are of their 'walking metal 4'. One was a single recording, the other the last episode of a series (of course).

Anyone else?
SWMBO is not happy, so the box could soon be going on a trip ...
I and some others have had some problems with C4 recordings last week on HDR T2 and have temporarily switched to padding, may try switching back soon

I and some others have had some problems with C4 recordings last week on HDR T2 and have temporarily switched to padding, may try switching back soon
Ah. Interesting. I've had another look at that thread (our T2s are currently mothballed) and that looks similar.
I'd mention that the Aura shows the recordings in the list as "1 min" but in reality they are a few seconds.

Me too! I am getting ‘earache’ from
SWMBO about this. I had set two programmes on C4 last night for SWMBO, Food Unwrapped 20:00-20:30 and Jamie’s One Pot Wonders straight after at 20:30-21:00. Food Unwrapped recorded fine, yet Jamie’s One Pot Wonder failed.

I am going to switch from AR to padding for a while.

Me too! I am getting ‘earache’ from
SWMBO about this. I had set two programmes on C4 last night for SWMBO, Food Unwrapped 20:00-20:30 and Jamie’s One Pot Wonders straight after at 20:30-21:00. Food Unwrapped recorded fine, yet Jamie’s One Pot Wonder failed.

I am going to switch from AR to padding for a while.
For the series that impacted me the series CRID had changed mid-series. All I had to do (on an HDR-FOX T2, and also a sagemcom youview), was cancel the schedule entry and reselect it. That way they picked up the latest series CRID.

Last edited:
For the series that impacted me the series CRID had changed mid-series. All I had to do was cancel the schedule entry and reselect it. That way it picked up the latest series CRID.
But how does that explain these ultra short recordings? It looks as though they are transmitting the correct crid so the recording starts, and seconds later a different one so it terminates (or whichever codes they are that control that).

But how does that explain these ultra short recordings? It looks as though they are transmitting the correct crid so the recording starts, and seconds later a different one so it terminates (or whichever codes they are that control that).
Maybe the old CRID gets transmitted, immediately followed by the new one? I think an intact recording covering the period in question could be dissected for its data channel.

I record C4HD programmes on my old Digitalstream PVR and that too has recently suffered this type of short recording. Points the finger firmly at the broadcaster but maybe transmitter dependent - I am on the Oxford transmitter.

so the box could soon be going on a trip ...
I think I'm having trouble with my eyes. I initially read that as "going to the tip". :D

...And people wonder why I don't trust AR. :p

I think an intact recording covering the period in question could be dissected for its data channel.
Not sure I know where to find the required data within the recording. (Haven't really looked recently. Last time I did look, nothing was obvious. Must be there somewhere).

I think I'm having trouble with my eyes. I initially read that as "going to the tip". :D
The tip does involve a trip.
But if deemed faulty I'd try and return it or find a buyer who could live with it. Fortunately it seems the box is OK.

I do trust AR as these days it generally works well. But I'm suspicious of commercial broadcasters as they have a vested interest in getting us to watch ads. One way to do that could be to clip AR signals on significant programmes (like last in a series) so viewers have to resort to catch-up where ads are unavoidable.

... so viewers have to resort to catch-up where ads are unavoidable.
Are they unavoidable? Try using the 'Queue Video download' on the Humax. Certainbly when downloading youtube videos it seems to avoid the adverts. My theory is that the ad insertion is done by client side code (to get location related adverts), but YTdownloader just grabs the video file itself. I believe the broadcast download streams are don the same way (you can see this as it doesn't let you skip over the adverts, which it could only do with client side code).

Are they unavoidable? Try using the 'Queue Video download' on the Humax. Certainbly when downloading youtube videos it seems to avoid the adverts. My theory is that the ad insertion is done by client side code (to get location related adverts), but YTdownloader just grabs the video file itself. I believe the broadcast download streams are don the same way (you can see this as it doesn't let you skip over the adverts, which it could only do with client side code).
For suitably techy and committed people they can be avoided. But for most people you either endure them or go the loo/make a drink/play a game to pass the time. It's just annoying really.

There are easy ways to bypass ads on ytube or itv player
Any ideas on how I can include adverts on Youtube.dl for downloads from ITV hub?
I've tried using the --include-ads option but it doesn't appear to work with ITV.

Back