Very slow EPG

That's what I was angling at with the file system check, but it could be that the file system is perfectly healthy and the Humax code is getting into knots with file inconsistencies.

Pull off anything you want to keep and reformat.

Pull off anything you want to keep and reformat.
Cheers, I started that earlier today, thanks for the confirmation I'm going down the right route. I'm half wondering whether something is e.g. permanently trying to decrypt etc. (not that the web interface suggests anything is going on).

Slightly confused. I went to Installation and selected the box to Format the HDD, it asked me to enter pin (0000 no doubt), which it took, however I still seemed to have old recordings! I tried similar but without the format of the HDD which took me through the install wizard and the old recordings were still there! Having said which, I've not installed the CF yet and response seems ok so far. I'll give it a couple of days to see if it slows down without the CF first. Don't quite see how to format the HDD though.

Menu >> Settings >> System >> Data Storage >> (select "Internal HDD") >> Format Storage

You really didn't want to be going through the installation wizard!

Thanks, so what does
Menu>>Settings>>Installation>>Factory Default>>Format HDD
do? (well, aside from nothing!)
The installation wizard wasn't that bad, doesn't take that long, nor does deleting some unwanted channels and setting up my Schedule. I was actually trying to get back to a clean box to be sure I'd removed the problem.

It all feels like the box is too busy doing something else to bother about what I want it to do.

You could try running 'top' from a telnet session ( or from the web-if >> diagnostics > > command line), to check how busy the Humax is :-

top.png

Last edited:
I was actually trying to get back to a clean box to be sure I'd removed the problem.
In that case, load the system flush update file which completely re-formats the part of system flash used to store things like the schedule and system settings.
Another thing to try is to put the custom firmware into Safe Mode to rule out that as a cause.

Well, after a couple of days having done the format which didn't format the HDD nor touch the CF, things seem a lot better than they were.
I don't quite understand, but then so long as it is now usable, I guess I'm not too fussed. Fingers crossed it carries on ok.
Thanks for your help guys.
Jeddy

If you are sure the disk wasn't reformatted (and if it had been the WebIF would have come up with the installer page), then running the restore factory defaults wizard (which wiped the epg database, amongst other things) is what sorted it. Not completely unexpected.

Back