vformat not sticking on 1080p

cdmackay

[am posting this here because of the boot-settings pkg element]

Does anyone else see issues with their vformat setting not resulting in the expected resolution?

For some time, occasionally I've noticed the the EPG and Menus text looked fuzzy. The picture tended to look OK (I suspect because of TV scaling), but there was definitely something wrong with the textual elements.

vformat was supposed to be set to 1080p, and indeed I'd added that field to the boot-settings pkg, to set it to 1080p at boot.

When I finally got around to investigating, I found that the TV was telling me that it was receiving a 720x576 picture.

Power-cycling both the TV, and the HDMI matrix, made no difference: the picture received by the telly was 576.

Interestingly, when I pressed vformat on the T2, it first comes up with the current setting, before changing, is that right? In which case, it came up with the current setting of 1080p, despite the TV telling me that it was receiving 576.

I had to cycle through all the other settings, each one clearly make a change, before getting back to 1080p and then the TV agreed it was receiving 1080p.

So the problem seems to be that the T2 thinks it's set to 1080p, but is actually putting out 576.

It seems to happen more times than it works correctly, e.g. Just booted up the Humax now and found it putting out 576, seconds after switch-on, despite 1080p in boot-settings.

It's easy enough to change (now that I've updated my Harmony remote to make vformat accessible), but it shouldn't be necessary, especially with the boot-settings setting in place?

[I've just removed the boot-settings field, since it's clearly not helping, to see if that changes the problem frequency]

thanks for any comments…

when I pressed vformat on the T2, it first comes up with the current setting, before changing, is that right?
Yes, that's correct. First press reports the current setting, subsequent presses (within the timeout period) cycle the setting.

Clutching at straws probably, but I wonder if there is some kind of fall-back system going on. 1080p puts the most stress on the HDMI link, so maybe if that fails to negotiate at start-up the HDMI subsystem automatically adopts a default lowest common denominator. IIRC I use 1080i as standard - try that (I doubt you would notice any difference over 1080p, I don't think any broadcasts are p so there will always be a de-interleve process somewhere be that in the Humax or the TV).

Yes, that's correct. First press reports the current setting, subsequent presses (within the timeout period) cycle the setting.

Clutching at straws probably, but I wonder if there is some kind of fall-back system going on. 1080p puts the most stress on the HDMI link, so maybe if that fails to negotiate at start-up the HDMI subsystem automatically adopts a default lowest common denominator. IIRC I use 1080i as standard - try that (I doubt you would notice any difference over 1080p, I don't think any broadcasts are p so there will always be a de-interleve process somewhere be that in the Humax or the TV).

thanks for the clarification re the setting.

Yes, that sounds likely, I agree; I will do some tests and see if e.g. it happens less with 1080i.

Amusingly, the problem has not recurred since I removed the resolution parameter from boot-settings.

No doubt this is just a coincidence :)

Back