Video Converter?

RobG

I am after a simple to use Video Converter to enable me to view purchased DVD videos on my Humax FOXSAT-HDR. I presently have a number of videos on my Mac, most of which are in avi format. I wish to convert these to a suitable format to then connect to my Humax box via the USB port. So I guess I have two questions, a) is it going to be possible to use the USB port in this manner and b) is there a suitable converter I can use, Handbrake has been mentioned, any good?

Handbrake will only work on unecrypted DVDs.
Even then I find you have to select the Video_TS folder and convert it to .MKV.
I then have to use TSMuxer to convert from MKV to TS and then AV2HDR to convert it to a Foxsat compatible file.
I have no idea which of these work on a Mac. I use Handbrake on Kubuntu Linux, and then reboot into Windows for TSMuxer and AV2HDR.
I don't think AV2HDR works on anything other than Windows, but I think it should run in a "Virtual Machine" using a Mac.

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and CF but very excited to have joined in! In response to the posts above, the main limitation i have always felt with the Humax HDR t2 was the lack of support for VOB/DVD files with menu control etc. If we (and by we i mean the very clever people who have made all this possible so far!) were to make it possible for the HDR T2 to support these types of files then there wouldnt be any need to encode the files above as RobG was talking about. Any ideas of whether this is possible. I asked Colin at Humax the same question about a year ago when i first got the box but he said it was unlikely to be added to the Humax official pipeline.

..... were to make it possible for the HDR T2 to support these types of files......
This forum topic is for Foxsat Freesat HDRs. Ther is another section specifically for HDR T2 Freeview device. Having said that, your comments could just as easily be applied to the FoxsatHDR. :)

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and CF but very excited to have joined in! In response to the posts above, the main limitation i have always felt with the Humax HDR t2 was the lack of support for VOB/DVD files with menu control etc. If we (and by we i mean the very clever people who have made all this possible so far!) were to make it possible for the HDR T2 to support these types of files then there wouldnt be any need to encode the files above as RobG was talking about. Any ideas of whether this is possible. I asked Colin at Humax the same question about a year ago when i first got the box but he said it was unlikely to be added to the Humax official pipeline.

There's a version of AV2HDR for the Freeview models. (AV2HDR-T2). If you join the vobs together using TSmuxergui and use the above to create .ts .nts and .hmt files then you will get the same navigation and chapter thumbnails as the internally recorded content has.

Back