video formats

framedtoo

video formats

thought i would start this thread to find out which formats play over networks.

wmvhd played but sound was choppy

Re: video formats

Humax have indicated that more formats will be supported with the next software update.

ive tested some different formats to see which would play

software used to encode nero 10

network d-link 200Mb homeplug

windows 7 64

test clip 151MB 1.2min 1920x1080 dd 5.1
These are the results

mpeg2 hdtv 222MB
good quality video & audio
control yes (fastforward & rewind)

wmvhd 80MB
good quality video
no audio
control yes

avchd 151MB
good quality video & audio
control no

blu-ray video compatable 150MB
good quality video
audio only 2 channel
control no

avc 1920x1080 93MB
good quality video
audio not supported (LC-AAC 5.1 )
control yes

I believe that since the HDR Fox T2 is using DLNA for streaming over networks it has to at least support Mpeg2 for video.

http://www.dlna.org/industry/why_dlna/k ... ia_format/

Other formats are optional.

Generally I use AVI or DivX ( Mpeg 4) encodes, both with AC3 audio, and and get good quality picture and sound and it is also controllable.

I use a free utility called StaxRip which I would highly recommend.

http://staxmedia.sourceforge.net/

Do we know if Humax plan to support new formats over DLNA or just when they are played locally (non streaming)?

avc 92Mb
audio HE-ACC
NO FILE FOUND
not sure why ?

mpeg2 blu-ray 224Mb
good video & audio
control no

About half of my video files work fully, served by Twonky Media from my QNAP NAS. All very nice but definitely need more formats supported. A lot of my videos play but without audio as it doesn't support AAC. Anyone know if this is being added? (I've got loads of video and audio - transcoding isn't an option!).

Also it appears that H264 (the mpeg4 encoder of choice nowadays) IS supported, which is great, BUT only in the container mp4, not in the container mkv! All my mpg (mpeg2) video works, but over half is mpeg 4, of which most are in the mkv container. This is considered the best way to go at the moment from what I've read, but of course you need clients that can play the files! Anyone know if the mkv container is going to be added?

It would be great if we could put together a definitive and simple matrix together of supported and unsupported containers, video codecs and audio codecs.

I have also been experimenting with this and found that using VLC Media Player I can use the Convert option to turn VOB files into H264 AAC files with the .ts extension (the third one down in VLC's built in list of convert formats), put them on a Buffalo Linkstation Live NAS and then I can find and stream them perfectly to the HDR T2. I get all the trick play features (even the progress bar nav with the silver button) and I get a Dolby Digital logo in the top right corner of the screen when the file first starts playing so I'm getting good sound as well. Admittedly I'm not gaining any space savings as my files are about the same size as the original VOBs but all I wanted was DVDs with no more discs - and I've got that.

I can play VOB files directly either from the NAS (ReadNASDUO) or from a UB hard drive. From the NAS I can skip but not from the USB. Unfortunately uncompressed the our weak wifi signal won't cope with the VOB properly, and the VOB is 3hours and 5+Gb. Not skipping could be a big hinderance. I've tried copying the VOB to the HDD but that doesn't help.

I reckon that the problem with HD files that cannot JUMP/SKIP is that they are variable bit rate. The reason I think this is because I used Mediainfo to look at the .ts files I created by muxing. The vlc.txt shows the file created by vlc (This file can SKIP/JUMP but has poor video quality). tsmuxer.txt shows the file created by tsmuxer (No loss in image quality but cannot SKIP/JUMP). The only difference I see is the Maximum Bit Rate. The mkv.txt is the input .mkv file info.

I tried creating a CBR file using tsmuxer but the option does not work. I also tried creating a VBR file using vlc but I could not see any option to do this. I therefore do not have any way of doing an apples-for-apples comparison to see if my theory is correct.

Any ideas, anyone?

Attachments

• mkv.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 2
  • tsmux.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 1
  • vlcmux.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 0
Here is how to play .mkv (H.264/AC3) files on the Hummy, with full rew/ffwd functionality and no loss of quality.

1) Demux the .mkv file using MKVExtract - this will give two output files, *.264 & *.ac3

2) Mux the two output file to .mp4 using MP4Box.

This should also work for any file extension that has H.264 video and AC3 audio.

Here is how to play .mkv (H.264/AC3) files on the Hummy, with full rew/ffwd functionality and no loss of quality.

1) Demux the .mkv file using MKVExtract - this will give two output files, *.264 & *.ac3

2) Mux the two output file to .mp4 using MP4Box.

This should also work for any file extension that has H.264 video and AC3 audio.

A simpler way to do the same conversion is:
avconv -i <filename>.mkv -codec copy <filename>.mp4

or

ffmpeg -i <filename>.mkv -codec copy <filename>.mp4

Back