Video source compatibility?

zekepliskin

Hi everyone,

I have a modified HDR Fox T2 with customer firmware 3.13, which I love. Works great as a little media server and also plays a decent amount of MP4/TS contained H.264 video with AC3/MP2/AAC audio, chops breaks out automatically and so on.

What I would like to know is, how does the unmodified HDR-2000T compare? My parents have one and without it to test I wouldn't know if it can play all the same types of video from USB, but it would be nice to know so I can share videos etc with them simply by taking a flash drive round from time to time.

I would expect the video playing characteristics of the 2000T to be similar to the HDR Fox T2, please note that the custom firmware has not enhansed the T2's video playing capabilities, so it is the same as the standard unit in this respect

The decrypted files from a Fox T2 should work properly on a 2000T. If you put the decrypted .ts, .nts, .hmt and .thm files on a USB stick and put it in the 2000T it should look just like it was recorded on it.
If you mean what other files can be played on a 2000T. I have an mp4 liberated from YouTube with AVC/AAC which plays properly. Files that I have converted from the COM7 multiplex (eg. from Talking Pictures TV) which are also AVC/AAC but in a Matroska container (.mkv) also work. (converting to .mp4s seem to lose sync)

The decrypted files from a Fox T2 should work properly on a 2000T. If you put the decrypted .ts, .nts, .hmt and .thm files on a USB stick and put it in the 2000T it should look just like it was recorded on it.

Yes I have the decryption package, works incredibly well in tandem with the one which chops out the commercial breaks. Amazing that the box can do this as it's recording the program and present you with a DRM and commercial free end file pretty consistently.

Ah now that's interesting that all the sidecar files will work from Fox T2 to 2000T. Because when transferring some videos from the Foxsat HDR if the sidecar files are there the file doesn't appear, and even with those removed often the only working audio stream is Audio Description, no subtitles either.

If you mean what other files can be played on a 2000T. I have an mp4 liberated from YouTube with AVC/AAC which plays properly. Files that I have converted from the COM7 multiplex (eg. from Talking Pictures TV) which are also AVC/AAC but in a Matroska container (.mkv) also work. (converting to .mp4s seem to lose sync)

My experience with MP4s has been pretty good, assuming they have MP2, MP3, AC3 or AAC audio streams. Fox T2 doesn't support DTS, I assume because that's not part of the Freeview standard and Humax would have had to pay for the rights to have the box decode it. It flat out doesn't like MKVs - either won't play or stops playing after a second. Which is odd because often the same H.264/AAC or similar file taken from a MKV container and remuxed into a TS or MP4 will - in my limited testing - play just fine with no sync issues. Are we saying the 2000T is a little ahead of the Fox T2 here then?

No custom firmware on the former is the clincher that keeps the latter ahead though :)

Back