View int&ext hdd media in one place?

amjl2000

I think I know that this one is unlikely to ever happen as it's probably within Humax's code... but I'd ask anyway, and delete this if it's stupid.

Do you think it would be possible to have a media list that combines the internal program listing and an external USB drive in one list? It makes sense if you have directories on the external drive, and these become visible in the main media list. Saves having to switch between media types.

I can think of a couple of drawbacks, like you could attempt to unwittingly transfer data between drives when it's not wanted, or not possible.

Not sure you could merge the two directories, but you can certainly mount the external drive into the My Video folder, if you really want to. Note the standard Humax operations (eg percentage disk full, DLNA indexing) will then start treating the external contents as internal.

Ooh, really? How would one do that? I'm not particularly au-fait with linux, though mounting a USB drive is something I have done - though not really know what I'm doing, or specifically where the mount is.
It's something I'd like to give a go to though, with a spare drive. Would the box crap out if the drive was unplugged for any reason? If it is complicated, then perhaps I wouldn't try!

I wouldn't recommend doing this from personal experience. I once had my NAS drive mounted such that it appeared in My Video as a subfolder. The trouble was that it confused the Humax as to how much spare capacity it had available for recordings. Common sense would say that it would simply sum the internal drive and the share on the NAS, but that wasn't consistently the case. It would vary wildly, sometimes being greater than the sum of the two drives, and on at least one other occasion shown as zero, making the Humax think that there was no space available for recordings, with the result that some programmes didn't end up getting recorded. Much safer to mount under USB (having plugged a stick in). Not quote as conveneint having to switch to it each time, but a lot safer in the long run.

Just install the 'mvdisks' package. A USB drive, when plugged in, will then appear under "My Video".

Complicated... what are the steps?
ha ha, just kidding. Works a charm! I did read through all the packages the other week... there's so many of them that I think I started to drift off a bit! Many thanks :)

though..., Is it possible to rename the usb-drive1 directory name? I tried, but it no worky.

(rpb, i did find some threads about mounting a nas drive, and saw your name in them, it didn't look good, though I couldn't find info on a local usb drive... probably cos it was under my bloomin nose!)

I think the one-liner in the Wiki shows how simple it is. :)
However, I'd still like to rename the mounted directory name so that it always appears at the top of the media list (like "A_USB" is a good bet! - and perhaps B_USB for the rear?). I would think if it is an automated script, I could rename it somewhere in the innards? It can be hardcoded, I don't want to rename on the fly.
Thanks for input on this. Much appreciated.

btw, have visited hummypkg.org, and there's no source for mvdisks to have a browse through (I'm a C programmer by trade, so not much of a step to read other things usually). There is an opk, so can I reverse-engineer this?

btw, have visited hummypkg.org, and there's no source for mvdisks to have a browse through (I'm a C programmer by trade, so not much of a step to read other things usually). There is an opk, so can I reverse-engineer this?

It's a script so you can read it, no source code - /mod/etc/mdev/rmvdisks on your Humax.

You can unpack an opk with 7-Zip if you just want to read the contents.

way hay! I did it. It took two attempts though... the Humax interprets an underscore as being after Z alphabetically rather than before A... ho hum, I now have a_usb0 at the top of the list!
Big big thanks, this kit (and you) rock!

quick guide for those who may stumble across this thread:
telnet in (used putty) from my PC, http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/black-holes-trail-guide-to-hdr-fox-t2-hacking.354/ - (bottom of post 3.)
navigate to right placefrom the #humax prompt, type:
cd /mod/etc/mdev/
then used a file editor vi:
vi rmvdisks
move around with the arrow cursors. Then typed the letter i to be able to insertand edit the file 4 times to replace usb-disk with a_usb- (or your choice), then escape to come out of edit mode, and typed :x to save, and then quit the editor. rebooted, and voila.

Note that your changes may be overwritten if the package is updated in future (no plans to update it at the moment). Also the original file was written in such a way as to also support disks mounted using the ntfs-3g package. The second occurence of 'usb-drive' should not be changed since it is there for ntfs-3g mounts.

Also note that the package installation/removal may fail leaving empty directories behind after your changes.

PS. No need to reboot just remove the usb disks before editing and replace them afterwards.

quick guide for those who may stumble across this thread:
then used a file editor vi:

For those who don't want to use vi, you should be able to use the file editor built into the web interface (Diagnostics->File Editor)

I did guess that there was more than one way to do it... forgot to mention that! I just did what google told me to do. It tells me it's time for breakfast now...

Back