viewing decrypted SD .ts files on MacOS - VLC not working

cdmackay

I hope this is in the right section... as I'm viewing decrypted files, that should relate to CF?

I've copied off several decrypted (and shrunk) recordings, using SSH/SCP, and am trying to view on my Mac (10.9.3).

I've previously happily used VLC (2.1.4) to view HD recordings (pointing VLC at the .ts files), but for some reason it isn't happy with SD recordings (sic). No errors, it just doesn't bring up a video window. Media info suggests it is not seeing any stream. As I say, it's fine with HD recordings, though.

Is this a known issue with VLC, does anyone know?

Any other recommendations for a good MPEG-TS viewer on MacOS, that works with both SD/HD from the T2?

thanks much indeed...

Sounds to me like your mac doesn't have the codecs to decode the MPEG2 stream although I would have expected those to be packaged with VLC, they certainly were on my windows PC last time I installed it. Usually the problems are the other way round with SD playing but not HD.

yeah, thanks - it's odd indeed that it's this way around. I'll look to see if there are other VLC codecs packs I'm missing..

Odd though: VLC can play MPEG2 TS files from my Toppy; it's only the Humax SD files it doesn't play.

I've just copied a SD recording from my Humax to my Mac and was able to play it with VLC.

OS X (10.9.3), VLC (Version 2.1.2)

thanks Ravi. That's even odder. One different is that I'm using VLC 2.1.4, but it's hard to believe that's the cause.

I wish vlc would give me some info about why it won't play.

running from cmdline gives:

Code:
$ /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/VLC A\ Chopper\ is\ Born_20140416_1500.ts
VLC media player 2.1.4 Rincewind (revision 2.1.4-0-g2a072be)
[0x1002206d0] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 13, expected 0) for PID 0
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 3, expected 0) for PID 17
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 14, expected 0) for PID 362
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 13, expected 0) for PID 0
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 3, expected 0) for PID 17
libdvbpsi error (PSI decoder): TS discontinuity (received 14, expected 0) for PID 362

VLC has a habit of doing this with some video files - I don't think it is specific to SD. Just use a different media player to play the affected files. I have used MPlayerX and "MPlayer OSX Extended", also mplayer on the command line. VLC is probably the best all-round media player for the Mac but all the players I have tried have faults of some sort.

OK, thanks. Perhaps it's something odd about the stream; this recording was from QUEST.

I'll try a BBC1 SD recording, and see if that is any better.

thanks.

Looks like it's something odd about the QUEST stream. I tried a Ch5 SD prog, and that was fine. But several QUEST programmes won't play in VLC.

They do play in mplayer on Linux, so I suspect it's just VLC not liking something about QUEST.

thanks for the help :)

Back