Viewing different formats on the HDR Fox T2

IJ36

Hi,

With the help of people on this forum I have sorted streaming from the PC to the HDR Fox T2 for my own stuff. Can anyone tell me now if the box will play streamed dvd's, divx/xvid, and avi, files?

Thanks

As far as I know the Humax is pretty fussy about the format it can stream, it is less fussy about the format it reads from a USB device. Also the DLNA protocol will only serve certain formats. I'm sorry I can't be definitive about what those formats are, but it has been discussed at length on the AVForums topic (refer to the Index in the pinned topics).

One problem is that something like AVI is actually a "container" for sub-streams for the sound and video, which can be many formats again.

The solution that others seem to have adopted is to use TVersity, which serves to a DLNA client and transcodes the video format on-the-fly.

As far as I know the Humax is pretty fussy about the format it can stream, it is less fussy about the format it reads from a USB device. Also the DLNA protocol will only serve certain formats. I'm sorry I can't be definitive about what those formats are, but it has been discussed at length on the AVForums topic (refer to the Index in the pinned topics).

One problem is that something like AVI is actually a "container" for sub-streams for the sound and video, which can be many formats again.

The solution that others seem to have adopted is to use (IIRC) Twonky, which serves to a DLNA client and transcodes the video format on-the-fly.
Thanks Black Hole.

Can you give me some help on using USB method. Do you know which formats are more successful using that method. I tried putting AVI files from the computer on to one, but they did not show on the box, in fact I could see the USB, but couldn't open it.

Having trouble finding that AV forum too. Sorry I am such a newbie to all of this

The solution that others seem to have adopted is to use (IIRC) Twonky, which serves to a DLNA client and transcodes the video format on-the-fly.
Sorry, I meant TVersity.

New starters should begin by getting up to speed looking through the pinned posts at the top of the forum topic list (that's general advice - not a dig at you). The AVForum is listed HERE (click) under Miscellaneous... Other Sources of Information.

With regard to media browsing on USB, I can only make sure you are doing the right things and seeing the right things back. If you plug in a drive when the Humax is "live", you should get a pop-up on screen once the drive has been initialised. If the drive is plugged in at boot you will need to access it by navigation (to follow the same procedure if you have the pop-up, press "exit").

On the RC handset: Media.. Blue.. select "USB" and OK. You should see "drive1", OK or Right. You should see "Upper Folder" and a list of folders & files. If you know you have files but none are showing, check you have the correct media type selected: press Yellow and select "Video", "Music", or "Photo" (the media browser does not show you files other than ones which conform to its current expectation).

If everything is correct and you still don't see files, try copying a StDef recording to the drive (Blue.. HDD.. browse to a recording.. OPT+.. select "Move/Copy".. select "drive1".. Red) and then see if you can find that in the media browser (as per previous paragraph).

Back