Viewing lengthy threads

dandnsmith

Forum Supporter
I'm currently trying to catch up on network-shares-automount package.
For such multiple pages I would find it easier if there were an option to display the hole thread in one go - thus avoiding trying to find the right page when referring to an earlier/later post.

Would this be possible?

Another feature, which I have appreciated in other places, is to have a next/previous thread selector at the top and bottom of the thread pages.

The number of posts displayed per page is a global forum setting, so changing it would affect everybody's view of every topic. The reason for limiting the number of posts per page is to limit loading time - a huge topic like automount would cause the browser to be messing about for ages (depending on network speed).

As Black Hole has said, the number of messages displayed per page is a global setting, this is currently set to 20. This could be increased up to a maximum of 100, but this would change things for all users, and may not be very popular particularly with the growing number of users accessing the site via Tapatalk on mobile devices.

Tapatalk has its own posts-per-page preference which isn't related to the forum setting (it downloads posts over a different API).
While I'm happy with the current setting, it is rather a shame that it isn't a per-user preference.
Having read a few threads over on the Xen forums, I do mostly understand their reasoning though. It's also worth noting that changing the system-wide setting will break some permalinks across the forum and elsewhere.

Tapatalk has its own posts-per-page preference which isn't related to the forum setting (it downloads posts over a different API).
While I'm happy with the current setting, it is rather a shame that it isn't a per-user preference.
Having read a few threads over on the Xen forums, I do mostly understand their reasoning though. It's also worth noting that changing the system-wide setting will break some permalinks across the forum and elsewhere.
Thanks for the info on Tapatalk, whilst I do have this installed on my iPad, I choose not to use it as I find it very un user friendly, and much prefer to use the normal web version of the forums.
I think that it would be as well to stick with the current number of messages per page, we don't want to break anything unnecessarily.

Another feature, which I have appreciated in other places, is to have a next/previous thread selector at the top and bottom of the thread pages.
Why? It's not like the different threads are closely related in subject.

I guess it depends how you choose to browse the forum. I always go in at the main forum listing, then follow the highlighted sections to new content I have not seen. I know some people use the "Recent Activity" listing (although for some reason not everything shows up there).

If it has to be a global setting, then I understand the problem, and will live with it.

When there are a number of threads in one of the fora, then I have found, elsewhere, that being able to transition to the 'next' new postings saves effort. I'm not one who uses the "Recent Activity" listing.

Back