Viewing photos on SDHC card?

marada

Do you know if there is any way to view photos from a SDHC camera card on the HDR-FOX T2

Would something like a USB to SDHC adapter work (like the picture I have uploaded) with customized firmware?

Attachments

• SDHC.JPG
    SDHC.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 7
It probably would, and you don't need CF, but the T2 is a frustrating photo viewer.

Many thanks for your reply. Do you have any idea if I use this method what the maximum SDHC card that will be recognized is? Will it work with 32gb and 64gb SDHC cards?

Also you say the machine is a frustrating photo viewer. Do you know if there is any custom firmware that improves this?

I leave the SD card in the camera and connect the camera via its USB socket to the USB on the Humax. the Humax then does a slide show. Does your camera have a USB out socket.

Do you know if there is any way to view photos from a SDHC camera card on the HDR-FOX T2

Would something like a USB to SDHC adapter work (like the picture I have uploaded) with customized firmware?

I can confirm your idea does work ok. I tested one this morning as we use the same adapter for ease of use on my desktop tower. My SD card is 8gb but there is no reason why larger capacity cards can't be used.

Ditto; I used a similar adapter to view the content of a 32GB SD card, although there was no compatible content on the card at the time.

I leave the SD card in the camera and connect the camera via its USB socket to the USB on the Humax. the Humax then does a slide show

Out of interest what is the model of camera you are using, does it work for all cameras directly connecting this way?

I think the vast majority of digital cameras will do this using the (usually supplied) USB lead - plug one end in the camera and the other into the USB port of a computer (or the Humax) and the camera will be recognised as an external drive. It has to be turned on of course, and runs on its internal battery power.

Out of interest what is the model of camera you are using, does it work for all cameras directly connecting this way?
It is a Fuji FinePix camera. I leave it off and connect it via USB cable then turn the camera on and set it to view photos (a picture of a SD card appears on the camera view screen). I then have to switch the Humax from watching videos to viewing photos. (<media><yellow button> <select Photo>). Then pressing media/storage the camera appears as USB-Driveunit and the pictures are in the folder named DCIM.

Unfortunately if a picture is taken on the camera in portrait orientation it appears on its side on the Humax even if it is rotated to the proper orientation on the camera.

I can confirm your idea does work ok. I tested one this morning as we use the same adapter for ease of use on my desktop tower. My SD card is 8gb but there is no reason why larger capacity cards can't be used.

@RobH1 when you use the SD card and adapter does the Humax sort out the landscape/portrait orientation of the photo?

It is a Fuji FinePix camera. I leave it off and connect it via USB cable then turn the camera on and set it to view photos (a picture of a SD card appears on the camera view screen). I then have to switch the Humax from watching videos to viewing photos. (<media><yellow button> <select Photo>). Then pressing media/storage the camera appears as USB-Driveunit and the pictures are in the folder named DCIM.

Unfortunately if a picture is taken on the camera in portrait orientation it appears on its side on the Humax even if it is rotated to the proper orientation on the camera.

@RobH1 when you use the SD card and adapter does the Humax sort out the landscape/portrait orientation of the photo?
Your camera is using the Exif metadata orientation attribute to indicate the orientation. You will need something in the feed that takes account of that. This will not be a dumb adapter and so far I have not heard of a Humax product that does that and will cater for the orientation extended jpg feature.

The camera puts everything in landscape and then adds an Exif tag to say "Oh by the way when you display this picture it will need to be rotated". The HDR does not take any notice of that tag and a simple adapter can not do that either.

Some Photo management applications that will automatically rejig the photos when you load them on to a PC so that devices like the HDR will always work as the photos will be pre-orientated.
E.g. http://www.impulseadventure.com/photo/flow-import-dlpro.html
Page down that link to the section titled "EXIF Orientation and Downloader Pro"
(I found that example by using an internet search engine and have not tried it out.)

Last edited:
Back