Virtual-Disc reporting incorrect storage capacity

Voxmagna

I now have virtual -USB running on a 1Tb hdd holding 400Mb in the Humax default folders. When I mark files for copy and they transfer unencrypted to Virtual-USB, Virtual-USB reports the full drive capacity (1Tb) available at the start of transfer/copy, then incorrectly reports 1Tb minus copied files as storage space available on the virtual-usb drive.

Does this happen for all of us? If it does then I can live with getting the truthful info on hard drive capacity from the Humax installed HDD screen.

What happens when a background file copy to Virtual-USB exceeds the truthful capacity remaining, does it carry on thinking the rest of the disc is available and overwrite files on the HDD?

Remaining space is one of the big issues with things like this, including mvdisks and network mount (where the mount point is set in the My Video tree instead of as a virtual USB drive).

I think you need af123 or xyz321 for a definitive answer.

Remaining space is one of the big issues with things like this, including mvdisks and network mount (where the mount point is set in the My Video tree instead of as a virtual USB drive).

I think you need af123 or xyz321 for a definitive answer.

Thanks, as long as it is not me. I wondered if the oem firmware issuing the onscreen message still treated the virtual-USB patch as if it was an external USB stick. In which case it would take the whole capacity and count down as it filled. Maybe if virtual-drive could be created on a separate EXT3 disk partition instead of a folder in the working partition, then the numbers would be correct and my concern about overwriting would be gone to.

I shall live with it for now.

Creating a separate partition would involve a reformat of the internal disk (or some very sophisticated hanky-panky to shrink the existing volume without destroying data)!

Maybe if virtual-drive could be created on a separate EXT3 disk partition instead of a folder in the working partition, then the numbers would be correct and my concern about overwriting would be gone to.

Having the numbers not adding up is annoying, but I don't see this would ever lead to files being overwritten, areas of the HDD are either free or not free for writing and I don't think getting the maths wrong will change that

That is true and it is just something to know about. I would not have re partitioned a drive full of content but would have tried out a clean drive after a EXT3 reformat in the box. I suspect the patch creates the virtual drive folder only in the working partition and it cannot be told to go somewhere else. PS: Acronis Disc Director is very clever, I move live partitions about all the time but never tried it with EXT3 on a XP PC (Yet).

Presumably that would mean removing the drive from the Humax box - not something many people would be prepared to do. As it stands, virtual-disk/virtual-disk2 provides a quick solution without that kind of messing about, and is almost vital for HD-FOX users wishing to decrypt. It's drawbacks are a small price.

Back