Visual Schedule and TV Diary do not show conflicts for programs that span midnight on the 7th schedule day.

phit03

I hope the title says it all but I frequently come across the situation on programs that span midnight on the last day of the current schedule which have a conflict caused by a series linked program that will start after midnight and conflict with these programs.

I use Visual Schedule to quickly scan for conflicts and for most of the time it's fine apart from it's handling of conflicts caused by series linked programs that do not air during the current schedule.
It appears that both Visual Schedule and TV Diary don't check for the possibility of conflicts caused by series linked programs on the day after the last day of the current schedule.
The Program List does handle this sort of conflict properly but it's not always obvious what conflicts with what when you have a lot of conflicts.

I know that the short answer to this is to always use the Program List to check for this sort of conflict as the final step after resolving all the conflicts shown in the Visual Schedule or TV Diary and that's what I will do from now on.

However, I've raised this just in case something can be done to amend Visual Schedule (my preference) or TV Diary to take this situation into account.

Attachments

• TV Diary not showing conflict caused by the Family Guy program.png
    TV Diary not showing conflict caused by the Family Guy program.png
    348.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Visual Schedule not showing conflict caused by Family Guy program.png
    Visual Schedule not showing conflict caused by Family Guy program.png
    279.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Recording List showing 3 overl;apping programs (conflict).png
    Recording List showing 3 overl;apping programs (conflict).png
    396.2 KB · Views: 8
It appears that both Visual Schedule and TV Diary don't check for the possibility of conflicts caused by series linked programs on the day after the last day of the current schedule.
That does not seem unreasonable, because the EPG is typically incomplete for day +8.

Would it be a significant improvement for Visual Schedule / TV Diary if they attempted to peer further into the future in the hope of picking up a conflict which will become apparent tomorrow anyway (when the conflict is on day +7)?

Yes, you're right although not everyone checks the schedule every day, setting up their schedule for the week ahead and then assuming all will be OK.

The Recording List does handle it properly, showing a conflict due to a series linked program that will be added to the schedule on the 8th day which clashes with 2 programs that start on the 7th day and span midnight.
As I said in the original post, as long as you use the Recording List as the final arbiter you will pick this up but it doesn't offer an easy way to view scheduled programs.

I'm in awe of the people that have taken the time to create and provide the custom firmware at no charge. I'm also sure that maintaining it and responding to requests such as this take a lot of their time.
Therefore I don't expect them to make changes if they feel they are not necessary. I raised the post to make them aware of the situation in case they were not aware.

setting up their schedule for the week ahead and then assuming all will be OK
But that's my point. The "week ahead" is days +1 to +7. You're trying to do stuff with day +8. However, I concede that it is inconvenient if programmes in the night (ie the early hours of day +8) are not handled properly if it is possible to do so, as they are still notionally day +7.

Last edited:
as they are still notionally day +7.
That's one for AvP :)
But seriously, there has to be a cut-off somewhere and since the guide ends at 2359 on day 7 I can't see any reason to go beyond that.

Bear in mind that a series that is programmed for early on day 8 won't have any time attached until the guide for that day is populated. Who's to know if it won't get a new time when that happens and any predicted conflict disappears?

Back