VLC Keeps Crashing

Hi Guys

Anyone else having issues with VLC when playing media from your HDR?

Mine keeps crashing, and so I tried the beta nightly versions, as I thought maybe they would help, but the same result happens, this is the problem report that I see in windows:

Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: vlc.exe
Application Version: 2.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 504d19af
Hang Signature: 4d54
Hang Type: 0
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Hang Signature 1: 7911647441b7f1eca5ecd5c98f091f46
Additional Hang Signature 2: e448
Additional Hang Signature 3: 8124dc11fa67b565fcfff7c5c0603d25
Additional Hang Signature 4: 4d54
Additional Hang Signature 5: 7911647441b7f1eca5ecd5c98f091f46
Additional Hang Signature 6: e448
Additional Hang Signature 7: 8124dc11fa67b565fcfff7c5c0603d25

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

It basically plays for around 5 - 10 mins then I get a black screen, then a pop up saying there is a problem, and what would I like windows to do (check for a solution and close the programme, wait for the programme to respond, or close the programme), and whatever I choose it simply shuts VLC down, if I re-try it simply happens again!

On the VLC forums. they suggested removing the preferences and deleting the VLC file in the temp apps folder, tired and same thing happens!

I am running a laptop with Vista Home Premium.

I also note that I can't play the file via the WebIf programme either as that simply has the VLC logo on a black screen with the play button, but nothing happens, I have tried all the browsers I know of (Firefox, Nightly, Safari, Chrome, IE & Opera) all with the same results!

I just wondered if anyone had any ideas or suggestions as to what I could try next!

Cheers

Andrew

What's the environment - DLNA, networked, or downloaded? StDef or cracked HiDef?

My instant reaction is if you're having trouble with VLC try something else, but as far as I know VLC is the only thing that will play HiDef by DLNA. Try XBMC for streaming StDef, or Splash Lite for downloaded HiDef (and StDef). If it is DLNA you are having trouble with, you could also try downloading the file instead - VLC will play it even before download has finished.

Sorry not to be more specific, I don't do this stuff these days.

Thanks for the info BH, I have done some more testing and as far as I can tell, the programme has a glitch after 5 - 10 mins, where it appears to freeze, screen goes black, but sound still plays, so I simply have to wait until it rectifies itself, then rewind to watch the programme!

No idea why the WebIf version not playing though!

I am streaming the files from the HDR over my network via DLNA, I haven't tried downloading, as I simply want to watch a file that is already on the HDR, when others are using it to watch their recorded programmes on the TV.

Tried XMBC, worked OK< but couldn't get rewind or fast forward to work!

Back