VLC on Windows 10 can't see DLNA server on Humax

I'm trying to find a way of watching Humax recordings on a Windows 10 PC in my study. I've got VLC installed, but when I browse Universal Plug'n'Play sources I don't see the Humax. Is there something specific that I need to install on the Humax to enable the DLNA server?
I'm running custom fw 3.12.

You usually just need to make sure that you have turned on Content Sharing in the standard Humax on-TV menus.

That will be stopping your PC from seeing the DLNA server. You either need to uninstall that or, if it is there to stop something else on your network from crashing the humax, configure it to just block the problem IP address.

I wasn't sure why it was installed TBH, but I've now removed it. Still can't see the Humax DLNA server from VLC/Windows though.
???

Hmmm...so it turns out that Windows Media Player could see the Humax DLNA server the whole time - it's just VLC that couldn't. So problem solved. Well, worked around, anyway...

Wasn't there a problem, in the distant past, where VLC couldn't see the Hummy DLNA. I'm pretty sure users had to go back level on VLC to get it to work.
Just to check, are any of our users using current version of VLC (on W10) to access via DLNA?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe it has improved in Win10 then.
Wasn't there a problem, in the distant past, where VLC couldn't see the Hummy DLNA. I'm pretty sure users had to go back level on VLC to get it to work.
I think that was more a case of VLC being incompatible with HiDef TS (from a Humax).

But WMP can't play TS, can it?
As we have previously established, I'm running a very old laptop . WMP 11 will play .ts (mpeg ones at least) providing you have the right splitter and codecs installed. I have ffdshow and it appears I have Haali media splitter - but I don't remember installing it. However, I usually use VLC.

I've never gone far with WMP because it wants to phone home when I click on it!

Very wise. I've gone so far as to rename its EXE file to avoid accidentally running it.

But I've never understood this need to use DLNA to play Humax files from a computer, especially since it requires enabling UPNP, which opens all sorts of security issues. I simply define the Humaxes as network drives and connect to them with my file manager. It then just just takes a double-click to open the TS file with the designated player for its type. In my case, i's Smplayer, but VLC would work equally well.

Back