VLC plugin stopped working

MymsMan

Ad detector
I tried to play a recording of /media/My Video/House That £100k Built_20170319_1512.ts
via the Webif Play button and it failed I got the following in Firefox console log
Code:
unreachable code after return statement

td1.width(w);

vlc.js?1.4.1-2 (line 628, col 24)
unreachable code after return statement

$('#' + this.timer).html(this.secsToTime(position) + '/' + t

vlc.js?1.4.1-2 (line 640, col 25)
TypeError: plugin.playlist is undefined

vlc.js?1.4.1-2 (line 388, col 33)
I initially thought it was due to the £ in the file name but I am getting the same on all recordings.

It was working earlier in the week

The VLC plugin has stopped working for me too. I guess it's since FireFox updated to v52 as I now note that VLC is no longer listed on the FF plugin page. I have tried removing (uninstalling) VLC and reinstalling it but to no avail.

Sure is a PITA.

I found that article after I had spend an age thinking it was an issue with my installation.

Lots of time wasted. Why the heck can't Mozilla just whitelist VLC?

Just a heads up.... the VLC plugin works with the Pale Moon browser, a fork of Firefox. Considering the direction Firefox is taking, especially with regards to extensions, it wouldn't hurt to take a look.

I've been using Pale Moon for some time and would never go back to Firefox.

Yes, I thought I would try the portable 64 bit version of Pale Moon when I was 'poking around' trying to get it to work in FF. I still prefer FF, but will continue to dip into Pale Moon and see if it 'grows on me'.

Only by DLNA, or by file share with pre-decryption. If you are in the habit of using the WebIF media browser to select and play recordings using on-the-fly decryption, the lack of a suitable browser-embedded player will be annoying (especially when it used to work).

I have always played files using the full VLC and DLNA with the .ts number. I have the Firefox VLC plugin disabled.
However to test I have just selected the VLC plugin option to 'always activate'. I opened the WebIF went to the media browser selected a file and pressed the play button and off it went all OK for me, using latest version of Firefox.
Could it be a recent Windows update problem? I am using 8.1

I am using 52.0.1 (64 bit) on Windows 8.1 and is still working. Confusing. :confused:
I always do manual updates using the full en-GB package from the ftp site, I have had problems with partial updates before.
If you are willing to go back to your last working version you can download all versions from here.
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/

I am using 52.0.1 (64 bit) on Windows 8.1 and is still working. Confusing. :confused:
I always do manual updates using the full en-GB package from the ftp site, I have had problems with partial updates before.
If you are willing to go back to your last working version you can download all versions from here.
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
I installed 52.0.1 ESR and the VLC plugin did resume working but this is only a short term fix since the Extended Support is only until early 2018

I am puzzled how Stummery has it working on Windows 8 since I can see nothing in any of the Mozilla web pages to indicate that the removal of NPAPI is related to any Windows level but reverting to Win 8 just to get VLC working is probably too much of a hassle for most users.

Well here's strange. What version of the CFW are you running?
I have just updated both of my boxes with the 3.11 release and now neither will play files via WebIF :confused:
I just get a traffic cone image in a black box.

Edit: A different problem I think, when I check the media details the DLNA URL is totally wrong. Will put a post in the 3.11 thread.

Last edited:
I installed 52.0.1 ESR and the VLC plugin did resume working but this is only a short term fix since the Extended Support is only until early 2018

I am puzzled how Stummery has it working on Windows 8

Just rechecked and I am running the ESR version of Firefox :oops: :whistling:

Well I am still stuck on using Firefox 52 ESR release to enable me to play humax content in a browser window.
The Firefox ESR is due to end in August and as far as I can see there is no replacement VLC plugin that will work in current browsers even though VLC 3.0 is now available.

Is the Play button in the webif doomed or is there any alternative?

(Yes I know I could use VLC directly but I do like the convenience of having it available in the webif)

Well I am still stuck on using Firefox 52 ESR release to enable me to play humax content in a browser window.
The Firefox ESR is due to end in August and as far as I can see there is no replacement VLC plugin that will work in current browsers even though VLC 3.0 is now available.

See post #5, it still applies and will do for a very long time. Pale Moon works perfectly with webif, as it should as it's a fully web compliant browser (with tighter privacy/security). You could use it just for webif, it's a totally separate entity from Firefox and there's no crossover with profiles.

They also provide Basilisk, a XUL-based browser "a close twin to pre-Servo Firefox in how it operates". Basilisk also fully supports all NPAPI plugins but I haven't tried the VLC plugin with it as I only use Basilisk for those retarded web sites that are badly coded so they only work in a more recent version of Firefox.

I have now installed Pale Moon to allow webif Play to continue to work and upgraded Firefox to the latest release but it is not an ideal solution.

It would be nice to have a Play function that works in the mainstream browsers.

I notice that Firefox (and others) support an 'Open in VLC media player' extension
This does work with .ts file links on web pages but unfortunately not with the DLNA Url link in the webif Browse page file details, pop up window :( possibly because it is in a pop up window

What would be good is if the Play button in the file details pop up used the same or similar technique as the extension to pass the URL to the main VLC player, not quite as neat as playing the video within the browser but it would restore the functionality of the Play button.

I have now installed Pale Moon to allow webif Play to continue to work and upgraded Firefox to the latest release but it is not an ideal solution.

It would be nice to have a Play function that works in the mainstream browsers.

I notice that Firefox (and others) support an 'Open in VLC media player' extension
This does work with .ts file links on web pages but unfortunately not with the DLNA Url link in the webif Browse page file details, pop up window :( possibly because it is in a pop up window

What would be good is if the Play button in the file details pop up used the same or similar technique as the extension to pass the URL to the main VLC player, not quite as neat as playing the video within the browser but it would restore the functionality of the Play button.
Can you tell me how to get it working ?
I have just downloaded Pale Moon, but I am having a problem locating the plugin for it. I think it picked up on the firefox plugin because I get the same white square with the controls - but no video.

Back