VLC plugin stopped working

I don't remember having to do anything special, I have VLC Web Plugin 3.3.0.0 installed with Always Activate on

Can you tell me how to get it working ?
I have just downloaded Pale Moon, but I am having a problem locating the plugin for it. I think it picked up on the firefox plugin because I get the same white square with the controls - but no video.

I'm using Arch Linux and it's available from the AUR as npapi-vlc or npapi-vlc-git. Source - https://code.videolan.org/videolan/npapi-vlc. I've no idea where to obtain a Windows binary though I'm afraid.

Edit: the reply above may be the answer.

I think PaleMoon inherited the FireFox addons but I could have installed from the Get Addons within PaleMoon
I can't remember now
I don't see it listed in pale moon repository. I followed a tutorial on enabling it in vlc, but still cant get it to work.

Would someone who has actually got it to work, do some kind of tutorial ? this problem is doing my head in - lol.
For windows 10 would be good,

I won't touch Win10.
I know how you feel. I bought an MSI Trident_3 and sadly that's what it came with. As its only a movie - TV - Game machine I don't feel quite so bad about it.
I have tried to lock it down best I can, but you know the score - lol

Tell you what, I can install in a VM, so would you help me out with the OS of your choice ? I just want to see it work - and once I get a handle on what to do I might be cable to get it to run on 10. Just seeing it work at all will give me a bit of a boost.

I haven't got there yet, but I am basing my new installation on Mint with Windows VMs for anything I can't run or substitute for. Sorry, but I don't watch stuff via a PC.

I won't touch Win10.
And people wonder why I never updated from XP! Biggest problem will be when this laptop fails...
I know how you feel. I bought an MSI Trident_3 and sadly that's what it came with.
... I could be stuck with Win10 - unless I can get it to dual boot.
I have tried to lock it down best I can, but you know the score - lol
I don't. Does this mean you can't tailor Win10 to what you want? (As in prevent some background processes starting, stop automatic updates etc.). When it comes to computers, I'm a control freak. I want them to do what I want, not what Microsoft wants! :D

And people wonder why I never updated from XP! Biggest problem will be when this laptop fails...

... I could be stuck with Win10 - unless I can get it to dual boot.

I don't. Does this mean you can't tailor Win10 to what you want? (As in prevent some background processes starting, stop automatic updates etc.). When it comes to computers, I'm a control freak. I want them to do what I want, not what Microsoft wants! :D

Yes, many of the privacy settings reset to the default when the box takes a hit from Windows Update.

I did get the box to dual boot with windows 8.1, but not with 7 and I think xp is a nono because of the uefi bios.
If anyone has instruction on just getting this webif to play videos on any OS that would be good (provided you make it suitable for an idiot).

Ok I have sorted it.
The latest version of Pale Moon and firefox browser does not work with the VLC plug in. So don't even bother.
Here's what I had to do.
1) download an old version of firefox - turns out you need at least version 40 for this to work and this is an x86 binary.
You can download it from here: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/
Remember using an old browser on the net will bring security issues - use it only on your LAN or VPN.
2) I reinstalled VLC - make sure you have a tick in mozilla plug-in at install.
3) enjoy.

You can have both the old and new versions installed at the same time :thumbsup:
I have tested on WinXP in a virtual machine, and win10 x64 and both work fine.

Edit: For macintosh users you need this :-
https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/40724/vlc-web-plugin
and firefox version 48 from the mozilla ftp above.

I'm very happy its working.
If you try this let me know how you get on.

Last edited:
I am successfully using PaleMoon 28.1.0 (32 bit) which I believe is most current and I am on Win 10
I cant say what I did to make it work since as far I remember it was just download and run

I am successfully using PaleMoon 28.1.0 (32 bit) which I believe is most current and I am on Win 10
I cant say what I did to make it work since as far I remember it was just download and run
I tried all day, and got no where with it - lol.
So I guess its a case of trying it and if it works for you then great.

I tried all day, and got no where with it - lol.
So I guess its a case of trying it and if it works for you then great.
I just got a new (cheap £89!) windows tablet for bedroom and travel use and was trying to set it up with VLC and Pale Moon but was not getting the vlc plugin showing up.
I eventually realised I had installed 64-bit Pale moon and when I installed the 32-bit version of Pale Moon 28.7.2 the plugin automatically appeared in the list and is working fine

So using the 32 bit version of Pale Moon is essential, I did not need to install a downlevel Firefox

Back