VLC streamer setup for iPhone

Great stuff. I have just updated on iPad and iPhone and can stream both HD (decrypted) and SD video no problems to both my iDevices directly from my Hummys.

Good you sorted it out.

I've found the VLC app (2.4.1) annoyingly temperamental on my iPhone 5S when trying to play from my Fox T2 and Foxsat (with the custom firmware). If you run into any snags, try MoliPlayer; I was sceptical, having tried plenty of other players, but this one really does deserve the 5-star reviews that the vast majority of the 58 reviewers have given it - it's the only player I've found that consistently plays all the files I have on both machines. I only came across it by accident because of frustration with VLC. (I unblocked all 8 plugins for a small price; included in which are: download via samba, download via dnla/UPnP, but I found the free version perfectly good).

Just downloaded MoliPlayer onto my iPad. Looks very good. I particularly like the alphabetical order of folders and the ability to download files (wasted on 16gb iPad). Both these features are missing from the android version, which is a very different and inferior version.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have just tried MoliPlayer and it won't stream HD content (decrypted) from my HDRs, VLC does.

Is there a setting I need to change? Can't find one.

I see there is a new release of VLC for iOS today.
It states that, for legal reasons, it no longer supports AC-3, E-AC-3 or MLP codecs.

That's a bit of a blow.
I seem to remember the same happened to 8Player a couple of years ago.

It seems that Dolby are pretty hot on the legal action.

I have just tried MoliPlayer and it won't stream HD content (decrypted) from my HDRs, VLC does.

Is there a setting I need to change? Can't find one.

I just tried it and found that when trying to play via the DLNA server I got a popup:

"play failed. Unable to play video now"

(Is that what you saw?)

But it plays via Samba.

Martin

EDIT:

Try going into Settings and change Video encoding fom HW to SW

image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks.

Yes it was. However, since VLC has been updated, I am now using that.

Not sure if you saw my edit: I was editing during your reply.

Change the Video decoding from HW to SW and that should do it.

Martin

Last edited:
Thanks. I have just tried it and it now works when set to SW decoding. I don't believe this setting forces SW decoding 100% of the time as I can see that some videos are HW decoded as noted by the HW icon on the play time bar at the top of the screen when a video is playing.

Thanks. I have just tried it and it now works when set to SW decoding. I don't believe this setting forces SW decoding 100% of the time as I can see that some videos are HW decoded as noted by the HW icon on the play time bar at the top of the screen when a video is playing.

Great; glad it's running and you have VLC, too. Thanks for letting me know.

Back