VLC

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
According to the iOS App Store update list, the VLC update of 6th August "fixed playback of streams from UPnP shares".

(For "UPnP" read DLNA)

Last edited:
I'm impressed with VLC for iOS 2.6.4 - it can connect and play .ts from my HDRs by DLNA or FTP, and has a good stab at HiDef playback (sound is fine, video extremely stuttery probably because my ancient iPad isn't pokey enough).

There is a problem: weirdly, disconnecting VLC from any of my HDRs causes a networked HD-FOX to reboot!

Which generation iPad do you have? I found that my 3rd generation iPad could not cope with HD playback, but the 4th generation, and iPad Air, both handle HD playback well.

Wow. I've updated VLC for iOS to v2.7.0, and now it offers SMB and PLEX as well as FTP and DLNA (UPnP). My HDR-FOX SMB servers were picked up straight away.

Just tried using this but nothing appears on when I try to connect.
Can you advise what I should use in the connect parameters (port, user, password)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it ought to connect with the default parameters, but you're right - I can't get anything either. Maybe it needs fixing; here's something I found on their release notes:
iOS
For iOS and the tvOS application, we've submitted all the applications. We're now waiting for the Apple Store reviews.
It might be long to review, because of the holiday season!
And of course, we've already fixed a few bugs on the master branch, but no major feature, until we get a release :)

I am using the version of 29th. DLNA works fine for me.
I get list of files. When I select one to play it appears at bottom of list in a small picture (it isn't obvious unless you look), I then have to hit full screen icon on right.
a958dc366e6e833faf8081c308a1e710.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just tried it again, and the DLNA access bombs out (VLC crashes) every time I go into My Video.

I have to agree with HarveyB.

I can play HD/SD recordings without issue over my network using VLC (version 2.7.1). From both my HDRs.

2.7.2 has now been released, and I can use DLNA access without it crashing. FTP is working too, but still no SMB to the HDRs.

Now I have my iPad Pro Mini, I can play HiDef content from the 'Foxes by DLNA. I still can't figure out how to connect by SMB though.

Back