Volume resets at start up

PDilly

I recently upgraded my HDR Fox T2 with the latest custom firmware.
I can't say if it happened straight after, but irrespective of the volume set at shutdown, it always powers up at half volume ( 10).

I don't think it talks to ARC on my Panasonic TV, and I can't find any spurious setting in the menus on either.

Any thoughts anyone?

Custom firmware has startup channel and volume settings. If it didn't happen straight away, you probably inadvertently set it.

Have you installed the Custom Firmware 'Power-On Channel' package fro the Web-If >> Package Management page? If so you will find this under Settings >> Settings for POC
upload_2015-2-24_0-26-28.png
As you can see there is also a Power-On Volume that will be used on every power-up the Humax does

The initial volume can also be set without custom firmware: through the power-on timer settings (which will override whatever volume was set previously, at the power-on time).

As Trev suggested, the start-up volume can be set in Web-If> Settings if you install the poweron-channel package. Do you have a power on timer set up on the box itself? With the remote go into Settings> Preferences> Timer. Volume is set to 10 by default. If you set an on/ off timer and change the value to 20 it should stay at 20 even if you turn the timer off.

BH : The initial volume can also be set without custom firmware, through the power-on timer settings (which will override whatever volume was set previously at the power-on time).
Wouldn't that only apply at 'Power-On Timer' events and not when the Humax was turned via the Remote Control?. We need to know how PDilly usually turns on his Humax

I am merely reminding readers of the possibility. The power-on-channel package sets the service, favourites, and default volume at every boot. The power on timer sets the service and volume at the power on time, if the unit was not already on.

Given the symptoms, power-on-channel seems the most likely candidate. Yet another example of a newcomer to custom firmware installing extra stuff without being fully aware of the consequences.

Thank you all for your assistance

I hadn't installed power on channel. Despite what some might think, I'm not one to install software willy-nilly. I only have what I will use.

The culprit was indeed the onboard power on timer which I did set for once per day for 15 mins, so that it will pick up remotely set recording parameters. I failed to notice if there was a volume setting when I set up the power-on and sleep shedule which I believe I did from the rs-shedule web page. I've now put that to rights via the remote as suggested.

Many thanks

It is better to set a manual reservation timer at a time of day that the unit is not likely to be in use, for that kind of thing, rather than the power-on/power-off timer (which must be used as a pair). The 0420-0440 anti-OTA reservation is an example.

Despite what some might think, I'm not one to install software willy-nilly. I only have what I will use.
Pleased to hear it. I apologise; this is an example of perception being skewed by immediate past experience. Nice to know I was on the money re the power-on timer though.

Last edited:
It is better to set a manual reservation timer at a time of day that the unit is not likely to be in use, for that kind of thing, rather than the power-on/power-off timer (which must be used as a pair).
The Power On/Off timers can be set on off independently when using the Remote,

They can - but this is known to cause mis-operation and is not recommended. Multiple power-on/power-off times can (or used to be) settable through the RS, but again this is no longer recommended.

Thank you all,

The on off timer just comes on for 15 mins each day to pick up any remote recordings I set. As far as can see from logs, that's working fine.

apart from the sound setting I didn't spot, the whole setup does exactly what I set it to do.

I was also pleased to find that Hummy emails me when a recording fails. my fault entirely. I had the mains off to carry out a repair!

Back