Volume

JontyG

I have a Humax HDR-1000S and a LG 37LH3000 TV.

When I switch to an HD channel the volume is increased dramatically to an earsplitting level.
I reduce the volume on both the PVR and TV, and as a result when I switch back to an SD channel it is inaudible!

Any ideas?

We used to have the opposite on HDR-FOX, IIRC!

Do you have your audio preferences set to stereo or multi-channel?

Normal on most HD channels - the output is encoded with the HDMI channel - if you do not have an amp or TV that understands this the change the sound setting for digital audio out to stereo.

My Humax sound is set to "stereo"
TV sound out was "pcm" changed it to "auto"

The problem remains - particularly annoying as the HD and SD channels have now been re-allocated so 101 ids BBC1 SD and 102 is BBC2 HD!

Unusual - Stereo out normally fixes this. Unless you have another bit of kit you have not mentioned then look to the TV settings.
We presume a simple HDR-1000S to TV HDMI connection.

As far as I can see, only stereo is output on HDMI on this box. You have to use optical to get surround, surely?

Edit: Not so! The setup menu is misleadingly inaccurate!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed that on my new Samsung H5000 there is a separate master volume setting for MPEG v AAC audio.

Thanks for all your comments.

I have tried all the combinations - I think

HUMAX digital audio out STEREO
audio type STEREO

TV digital audio out AUTO and PCM

The result is the same - very LOUD sound on HD

May be I should use SCART?

Incidentally tried to solve the problem by creating favourites and list, but the program change arrows revert to the original chanel numbers rther than scrollong up and down my favopurites.....

Any Ideas

Jonty

As far as I can see, only stereo is output on HDMI on this box. You have to use optical to get surround, surely?

All HD Humax boxes output 5.1 (when broadcast) on HDMI and S/Pdif simultaneously.
Thanks for all your comments.

I have tried all the combinations - I think

HUMAX digital audio out STEREO
audio type STEREO

TV digital audio out AUTO and PCM

The result is the same - very LOUD sound on HD

May be I should use SCART?

Incidentally tried to solve the problem by creating favourites and list, but the program change arrows revert to the original chanel numbers rther than scrollong up and down my favopurites.....

Any Ideas

Jonty

I don't recognise those options on HDR1000S. There is one setting in the Humax box TV setup menu.Settings - Picture and Sound

Digital audio out - Multi-Channel - outputs Dolby Digital (ac3) 2.0 or 5.1 as broadcast to the digital audio outputs (s/pdif and HDMI) - with most kit the box remote control volume has no effect. You should be able to turn up the volume using a SD channel to get a level similar to what you get on a HD channel and then turn down the TV volume - The default volume output for SD channels is set very low at 50%..

Digital audio out - Stereo - Outputs lpcm stereo at the same level that you set the remote volume for both HD and SD channels. ac3 is resampled to bog standard lpcm stereo.

All HD Humax boxes output 5.1 (when broadcast) on HDMI and S/Pdif simultaneously.

The 1000S only has surround sound as an option on optical, in its settings. The most shown under HDMI is stereo. Are you saying this is inaccurate?

Edit: It is definitely inaccurate, I tested it last night. So much for RTFM. More like the DNRTIM.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1000S only has surround sound as an option on optical, in its settings. The most shown under HDMI is stereo. Are you saying this is inaccurate?

Edit: It is definitely inaccurate, I tested it last night. So much for RTFM. More like the DNRTIM.

Where are you finding these settings ?. My HDR1000S has no mention of optical or HDMI. There is one option to set Digital Audio Out, HDMI and S/Pdif are the only digital audio outputs the box has and they use the same audio. There is no way of outputting different digital output from S/Pdif and HDMI (that would require multiple parallel audio processing, what would be the point ?). With Surround Sound enabled SD channels output lpcm and HD channels output Dolby Digital. With Surround sound disabled (Stereo option), all channels output lpcm stereo.

The option is the same on all Humax HD boxes, never seen any one confused before.

Menu Settings Picture and Sound.

Audio type: Left, Right, Stereo or (!!) Close Menu
Digital Audio out: Stereo, Multi-channel or Close Menu

I think you are right, the first presumably refers to Scart and the latter to HDMI and Optical. There is no manual, so who knows? I would have thought that "Audio" was a superset of "Digital Audio!" Clearly not, as you can set Audio to Left and Digital Audio to Multi-channel.

I don't know where I got the HDMI/Optical mix confused. Either a senior moment or the menu has been updated? (Almost certainly the former!):frantic:

Menu Settings Picture and Sound.

Audio type: Left, Right, Stereo or (!!) Close Menu
Digital Audio out: Stereo, Multi-channel or Close Menu

I think you are right, the first presumably refers to Scart and the latter to HDMI and Optical. There is no manual, so who knows? I would have thought that "Audio" was a superset of "Digital Audio!" Clearly not, as you can set Audio to Left and Digital Audio to Multi-channel.

I don't know where I got the HDMI/Optical mix confused. Either a senior moment or the menu has been updated? (Almost certainly the former!):frantic:

Scart does not have digital audio out, it's an analogue output for both video and audio. The scart output is analogue only ( PAL CVBS video (composite video and blanking, or RGB depending on the capability of your TV, and the setup options, and the scart socket you connect to) and stereo analogue audio with only SD video (max 720 x 576 pixels ).

Your second option allows you to select various audio output options for the analogue outputs (scart or the rca phono sockets, yellow CVBS video, Red and White Analogue Stereo with Red the right channel and the White the left channel). Neither has any connection with the digital outputs,

The menu has been the same since the first Humax HD satellite box ,( Foxsat HD) after an update in 2008.

I hope this helps.

The Foxsat-HDR has 3 analogue outputs, 2 scart sockets and a RCA phono socket output (Yellow - CVBS, Red and White Analogue stereo Audio}, Ant TV with a scart socket will be able to work with this.

It has two digital outputs.

HDMI which has HDCP protected digital video (with upscaling for SD channels to 1080i) and the option to downconvert the audio to a format with a format that any TV will be able to work with a digital input.

S/Pdif (Sony/Phillips interface. This can be either optical (normally called TOSlink (, or coax using standard RCA phono connections). The Foxsat has the optical option though cheap converters are available to convert in either format. SP/dif is only capable of digital audio. For a very long time if you had a Sky-HD box the only way to get true surround sound if you had the capability (AV amp and surround speakers) was by using the S/Pdif output),

Basically a manual would not help if you need to understand the basics. Earlier boxes had a much more comprehensive manual but the level of detail you want is not included.

Basically a manual would not help if you need to understand the basics.

But adding the essential word Analogue Audio in the first option would help. Digital audio is audio. I was not implying that scart provided digital audio, just that a word was missing. Consider:

Houses have pitched roofs
Bungalows have flat roofs

Do you not see the contradiction? Bungalows are houses. Similarly, digital audio is audio.

Anyway, it was my mistake and I admit to it. But I still say the menu is contradictory.

Oh, and the menu has not been the same all that time. The Freetime box has a totally different menu to my old Foxsat.

But adding the essential word Analogue Audio in the first option would help. Digital audio is audio. I was not implying that scart provided digital audio, just that a word was missing. Consider:

Houses have pitched roofs
Bungalows have flat roofs

Do you not see the contradiction? Bungalows are houses. Similarly, digital audio is audio.

Anyway, it was my mistake and I admit to it. But I still say the menu is contradictory.

Oh, and the menu has not been the same all that time. The Freetime box has a totally different menu to my old Foxsat.

HDR1000S, HDR1010S and HB1000S Settings - Picture and Sound - Digital Audio Out (Multi-channel/Stereo)

Foxsat-HDR and Foxsat-HD Menu - Settings - TV Setup - Dolby Digital (On/Off)

HDR FOX T2 and HD FOX T2 Menu - Settings - Preferences -Audio - Digital Audio Out (Multi-channel/Stereo)

They all have identical effect on the digital audio outputs of the respective boxes. You weren't confused by the Foxsat and you were by the HDR1000S, apart from slight wording differences the option is identical.

Your book is wrong then, BH, but you are using sophistry to avoid the contradiction. Try another example of your own devising. There are infinitely many to choose from.

All TVs use a lot of energy.
LED TVs use very little energy.

All animals have four legs.
Ducks and humans are animals and have two legs.

All you need is

A≤B≤C

but A not less than or equal to C. (Being a subset is an ordering relation.)

Back