@ Wallace

Yes, I think they are referring to that.

I would really like to. We are off work soon so might have a trip. My other half was the head receptionist at the Avon Gorge Hotel in Clifton many, many years ago and it would be nice to pay the 'old place' a visit again.

I remember visiting the equivalent of the Manchester Science Museum in Bristol last time we were down there. As you know, Bristol can be called the home of Wallace & Gromit. Aardman Animations had a display of quite a lot of the characters and sets. One of which sticks in my mind was Mr Tweedies pie making machine taken from Chicken Run. The detail was outstanding.

For me it was like being a kid in a sweetshop, I loved it and took lots of photographs. Brilliant, harmless fun.

Not long after our visit, there was a major fire in the warehouse and several items and sets were destroyed. Heat and plasticine are not happy bedfellows.

'Let's go somewhere where there's cheese.....' (W&G - A Grand Day Out)

:)

Not long after our visit, there was a major fire in the warehouse and several items and sets were destroyed. Heat and plasticine are not happy bedfellows.
I was there on the day. Later in the afternoon, the fire chief took us upstairs to an office adjoining the bit the burnt down and opened a connecting door. It was truly astounding seeing the mess and how the girders of the building had just twisted and collapsed like they were made of plastic.
There was nothing salvageable in there of course.

Steel loses its strength at a remarkably low temperature. This is why structural RSJs have to be protected in some way.

It is ironic really. The 'ancient' timber buildings can, in some ways, resist serious fire damage. Now obviously wood is combustible, but I have seen a case where a very big/thick oak beam had 'practically saved itself.
The flames char the outer outer case, if you will, and that forms a 'crust' which helps protect the inner wood from the flames/heat. This can only offer protection for a finite amount of time, but, I found it rather interesting.

BH is right, structural RSJ's can be seen to have what, at first glance, looks like a foam skin splayed on for protection. It's principle is the same as the charring effect. It's all about 'buying time'. And that time can save lives.

Back