Warnings

Robti

Hi I get the following and wondered if I am doing anything wrong

Code:
02/02/2018 22:53:33 - DetectAds /mnt/hd2/My Video/Emmerdale/Emmerdale_20180202_1901.ts Incomplete data retrieval -1945157632 bytes missing (00:59:59)
31/01/2018 22:41:00 - DetectAds /mnt/hd2/My Video/Kiri/Kiri_20180131_2101.ts Detection Length error, Bookmarks may be upto 00:00:17 out
03/02/2018 00:47:40 - DetectAds /mnt/hd2/My Video/New_ Lethal Weapon/New_ Lethal Weapon_20180202_2105.ts Detection Length error, Bookmarks may be upto 00:52:03 out
02/02/2018 22:53:34 - Queing /mnt/hd2/My Video/Emmerdale/Emmerdale_20180202_1901.ts for retry of detectads due to significant file length error
31/01/2018 20:03:36 - DetectAds /mnt/hd2/My Video/Emmerdale/Emmerdale_20180131_1900.ts Detection Length error, Bookmarks may be upto 00:00:07 out

Thanks the only recording I have left is the Kiri one and in my folder it shows the original at 62mins long but it also has one named Kiri-len err (00:00:17) which is 46mins long, upon checking the original shows all the yellow add break points but the error one doesn’t

If the warnings appeared in that order something is odd in the way the webif orders the display of warning messages - I would have expected them to come out in date-time order!

The purpose of the messages is to warn you when detectads has experienced a problem and that the bookmarks/cropping might be incorrect.

The 'Incomplete data retrieval' / 'Queueing for retry of detectads' means something went wrong during the decryption whilst recording so it has been unable to fully process the program, this is usually resolved if tried again later hence the retry.

A 'Detection Length error' occurs when decryption is OK but the programme length reported by the detection process differs from the actual recorded programme length by more than 5 seconds. This is due to audio/video glitches in the recording and won't go away if retried.
We don't know where in the recording the problems occurred but the effect is that the bookmarks/crop points may be significantly earlier than they should be.
If you watch the Kiri-len err version you could loose up to 17 seconds of program before each ad break, watching the uncropped program will be better - you can use the Bookmark skip on the remote but you will see the last 17 seconds of the ad break which isn't too bad

Thanks for the helpful answers,after a reply by black hole on another problem I have I have decided to wipe everything and start again, just trying to find out the best way to do this keeping my recordings

I recommend using detectads to set a bookmark at the end of advert breaks rather than actually cutting adverts out of the recording. This avoids possible damage to the recording file or .nts sidecar file, or the wrong bits being cut out if the ad detector didn't get it right. Then, on playback, all the user has to do is press "skip to next bookmark" at the beginning and/or when the adverts start.

Thanks for the helpful answers,after a reply by black hole on another problem I have I have decided to wipe everything and start again, just trying to find out the best way to do this keeping my recordings
There is nothing in the warnings to suggest that wiping and restarting is needed or will improve anything

Whether or not to crop is a personal decision

Whether or not to crop is a personal decision
...informed by the expectation that the less that is done in post-processing to manipulate a video file and the attributes held in the sidecar files, the lower the risk of there being any cock-ups.

Back