"Watch in HD" popup

Is this pesky popup generated by the broadcasters or by the T2? If the latter, is there any way it can be disabled in a future version of the custom firmware?

It's part of the Freeview spec. No chance of getting rid of it, except by the expedient of watching "live" a few seconds delayed (that kills the red button pop-up too).

There are a couple of simple ways of getting rid of the "Watch in HD" pop-ups, one is to get into the habit of always watching the HD channels, the other is to delete the SD versions.

I don't get this annoying prompt on anything except BBC channels, so it doesn't seem to be universally applied.
Silverback

That is correct - it relies on the broadcaster setting appropriate flags in the data stream.

I find them easy enough to ignore.

It really annoys me too.
If I want HD I'd tune to a HD channel in the first place.
If I want teletext I go to channel 1 - but then have to wait for that thing to appear
and either delete it or wait again for it to go away before teletext will come on.

Just another example of people who dont use things doing the design.
The same goes for those absurd "recommended program" pop-ups.
TV broadcasters just go out of their way to interefere at every opportunity.

I took delivery of new Humax yesterday and already finding this prompt annoying. I watch BBC breakfast on SD so I get local news. HD only features London local news, so come on Humax, add an option in settings please.

I like it. I go to 5sd just to get me to the hd channels avoiding pressing the almost busted 1 key on my remote

It wouldn't be so bad if the BBC actually broadcast the Local news in HD.
It is ludicrous with all the BBC hype for HD and forcing these pop-ups upon us that they still cant get the basics right.

It wouldn't be so bad if the BBC actually broadcast the Local news in HD.
It is ludicrous with all the BBC hype for HD and forcing these pop-ups upon us that they still cant get the basics right.
This sounds suspiciously like a miss-design of the FVP-5000T which has previously been mentioned a few times on another site. For some of those programmes there was sufficent detail to try the same local progarmmes on an HDR-FOX T2, and the HD pop-up did not occur.

On my HDR-FOX T2s, and a Vestel, selecting local programmes from BBC ONE SD does not offer an HD alternative, but selecting non-local programmes from BBC ONE SD does.

If the HDR-FOX T2 isn't super intelligent then it as if the FVP-5000T is seeing a flag somewhere and then applying it to any programmes on that channel instead of the individual programmes the flag is present for.

An alternative explanation for why the HD pop-up for non-existent programmes does not occur with the HDR-FOX T2 but does for the FVP-5000T is that Humax could have made the HDR-FOX T2 super smart by not directly trusting the flags by making the HDR-FOX T2 check that the HD programme is available before displaying any pop-up.

Chances are the new Humax was the FVP-5000T. This, as Luke points out, seems to have a design problem where the "Watch in HD" prompt keeps appearing on BBC channels. The BBC have recently changed something that causes this to keep popping up. Having said that, Humax should have provided an option to turn this "feature" off. I think someone (GLT?) has suggested the workaround is to pause live viewing for a few seconds and then resume. All pop ups gone. The other solution - get rid of HD channels. :rolleyes:

This sounds suspiciously like a miss-design of the FVP-5000T which has previously been mentioned a few times on another site. For some of those programmes there was sufficent detail to try the same local progarmmes on an HDR-FOX T2, and the HD pop-up did not occur.

On my HDR-FOX T2s, and a Vestel, selecting local programmes from BBC ONE SD does not offer an HD alternative, but selecting non-local programmes from BBC ONE SD does.
I wasn't trying to suggest that the pop-up was occurring for the local news - just a general rant about hyping a service that doesn't yet deliver a full programme schedule.
The humax pop up is quite discrete an unobtrusive compared to my previous recorder which displayed a huge white message box right in the centre of the screen

A solution is not to use the HDMI cable. Apparently it thinks that the HD channels aren't worth using via SCART.

This is really only acceptable for retro viewers whose TVs don't have enough resolution to differentiate HD transmissions.

Why do people want to overcomplicate things? As has been said before, all it takes is pause for 1 sec and it just goes away

I have my boxes connected to the TVs by HDMI, but I also have RCA connections coming out of the back of each which I sometimes connect to cheap monitors from Amazon, intended for car reversing cameras. These allow me to keep an eye on what is happening onscreen without tying up the TV.

The point I am working up to is that I haven’t seen this pop up for years. I thought it had been discontinued in someway. I now appears that RCA connection maybe sufficient to block the message. If I get a chance I will experiment.

Back