Watch in HD

Pinky22

Just bought a new FVP-5000T to replace my Humax T2 which eventually died. Quite like the extra tuners but it's a step backwards compared to the T2 in many ways and of course no CFW. What's really T'eeing me off is it is constantly flashing up "Watch in HD" (where available). Not just once at the beginning of the program or when changing channels - as the T2 used to but up to 4 times or more in a one hour program. Does anyone know if this "facility" can be turned off?

There does not appear to be any fix to this long standing Humax PVR issue.
If you never watch the BBC HD channels and Channel 5 HD then you could delete them.
An alternative is to pause watching the programme on SD for a few seconds when watching BBC SD or Channel 5 SD as that will also suppress the message .

My supported user isn't interested in HiDef - her eyesight combined with 32" TV isn't good enough to tell the difference. The solution is simply to remove the HiDef services from the tuned set.

I mainly record in StDef because for the space saving, and as I am rarely actually concentrating on watching telly I don't need it in HiDef. The news is still the news, it doesn't matter whether it is presented in 1080p or 576i.

But at least, with HDR-FOX, I only get the "View in HD" pop-up immediately on changing channel. Popping up regularly, unprompted, sounds very annoying.

Sorry if its a daft question, but why would you not want to watch in HD if its available?
I do sometimes watch in HD but at 3M (10 feet) viewing on a Philips 40" PFL9705H I can't really see the difference due to my eyesight not being as good as it used to be. (Gave up driving a year ago for this very reason.)

We don't all have 20/20 vision or live in an area where the local programmes are in HD so it's just easier to watch in SD which is actually very good at my viewing distance and saves having to scrabble for the remote when, for example, BBC national news goes local.

Popping up regularly, unprompted, sounds very annoying.
It is. What p's me off is when I switch to BBC1, press red to have a quick look at the news headlines. If the programme changes, the "Watch in HD" prompt appears just as I press OK for a text page and the damn Humax switched to BBC1HD instead. :mad:

This is getting ridiculous, "Watch in HD" has just come up 4 times in the opening sequence of Eastenders. Has anyone mentioned this to Humax and if not has anyone got a contact number for them?

The prompt is generated by data included in the data stream by the BBC, Humax have no control of what the broadcasters transmit. Guessing the FreeviewPlay spec doesn't include a requirement to be able to disable it.

The prompt is generated by data included in the data stream by the BBC, Humax have no control of what the broadcasters transmit. Guessing the FreeviewPlay spec doesn't include a requirement to be able to disable it.
Yes, I'm totally aware of that fact, I spent 25 years working for BBC television as a technician. My Humax T2 only flagged up the option once, at the beginning of the program and so does My Humax Foxsat HDR likewise, only once. However my Humax FVP-5000T flags up the option 4 or 5 times during a program that is available in HD.

Last edited:
This is getting really ridiculous now. Whilst watching tonight's BBC national news I got 6, yes 6 invites to watch in HD. Then at 22:30 when the news went local to South Today a minute in I got another invite to watch in HD.

Now that's interesting because at 22:30 BBC transmissions in my area don't go through CVAR (Central Vision Apparatus Room) in either London, Crystal Palace which links to my local transmitter (Whitehawk Hill, Brighton) by microwave, or Salford but is re-routed from Tunbridge Wells where the studios are, via Southampton and then onto Rowridge (Isle of Wight) to link back to Whitehawk. Neither Tunbridge Wells or Southampton have HD news studios.

We set up an experiment with my son watching the news (in SD) in his bedroom on the Humax T2 and I watched in the living room on the FVP-5000T.

For the entire duration of the news (national and local) he only got one invite. I got 6.

This can't be down to the BBC, it must be the FVP-5000T which has many other failings when compared to the T2 or the Foxsat

I rest my case.

Why don't you just:
Watch in HD
Record the SD programmes you are interested instead of watching live and then chase play
Delete the HD channels
Take the damned box back

And TV is centrally coded and multiplexed these days, so blathering on about circuit routings or whatever is kinda pointless. I had to read that sentence about 10 times to parse and make sense of it. Don't use either-or with more than 2 things - it's very confusing.

Why don't you just:
Watch in HD
Record the SD programmes you are interested instead of watching live and then chase play
Delete the HD channels
Take the damned box back
The OP doesn't appear to want a solution to the problem at all, he just wants to endlessly complain about it

I wouldn't describe these as solutions, more work-arounds.

I agree with the OP that this trait is not what one would wish - if the user has had one reminder that he could be watching in HiDef (why do we need a reminder at all?), and has taken the decision to remain with StDef (nothing wrong with that, it's a matter of personal choice), why should we be pestered with repeated reminders? This is definitely a defect, and the point of this topic is an enquiry whether this is "normal for Humax" or if there is anything that can cure it (no, only work around it).

However, the OP may be labouring under the delusion that Humax takes any notice of discussion on this forum. What will cure it is if enough end users complain directly to Humax.

O.K. they are work arounds rather than solutions, but the OP said :-
Does anyone know if this "facility" can be turned off?
The question has been answered several times - YES it can be stopped -, but the OP still continues to complain about something that only Humax can fix properly and is ignoring the ways suggested to stop it happening, has he tried any of them?

Last edited:
A solution for HD/R-Fox T2:
Also, the Back and Exit buttons each cancel the pop-up!
Does this also work for the FVP-5000T? Even so, it may not prevent further attempts to display the pop-up.

Back