Watch program being recorded over network

No.
In theory it's technically possible now, but no-one's put all the bits together to make it work.

Actually you can and I do it all the time. You need to set up a network share on your computer pointing to the humax. Make sure Content sharing is enabled on the humax (settings/system/internet setting/content share). Set up an auto recording on the humax, then look at your network share. The file will appear there after a couple of minutes. (it is the 'program name+date+time-crop.ts') You can watch the file on the computer or any connected device. Be aware that if you watch it too early you may reach the end of the file. Best to leave it about 15 mins to allow Auto advert-removal to do its magic. Then watch ad free.

That only works if you are running detectads with chase-decryption selected (something you have neglected to mention). detectads will not automatically run for recordings from commercial-less services.

It is also possible from another HD-FOX/HDR-FOX via network share, regardless of detectads, provided you change their encryption/decryption keys to match (a facility only recently made available).

It is not possible via DLNA (the normal means to view recordings remotely, without decryption), because the relevant index entry is not made until the recording completes. However, as a surrogate DLNA index entry is created for the purposes of detectads at the start of the recording, there is a possibility that could be used externally too (without a network share other than the native DLNA server) - assuming detectads is running on that recording.

Some investigation was carried out on accessing the 0.ts TSR buffer file. This file is also encrypted and not amenable to external access, but now we can make the keys match it may become possible in the future. However, the buffer file is not linear and it will be tricky to ensure it is read correctly - that may be side-stepped by creating symbolic links from another 'FOX so that it "thinks" the remote 0.ts is its own.

All in all a pointless exercise when it is so much easier to use iPlayer, UK TV Play, whatever.

Last edited:
That only works if you are running detectads with chase-decryption selected (something you have neglected to mention).
Whilst not specifically including that info, it was implied (to the more knowledgeable) in the filename given, and in the second last sentence in his post.;)
All in all a pointless exercise when it is so much easier to use iPlayer, UK TV Play, whatever.
Possibly, but the post was in reply to prpr's answer at post #2
Sounds like a pretty easy solution to the OP's question to me.:D

Whilst not specifically including that info, it was implied (to the more knowledgeable) in the filename given, and in the second last sentence in his post.;)

On the contrary, the OP may well not have been aware of the preconditions, and the wording of post 4 suggests CrystalBaller is not aware that other people may not have the same setup. I have also added to my previous post:
detectads will not automatically run for recordings from commercial-less services.
...so if it's a BBC recording one wishes to view remotely, in progress, you're out of luck anyway.

Yes i didn't go into fine detail. I assumed that the op would ask for more info if he got stuck. That would save me writing a phone directory worth of info that might not be needed. And yes, run detect ads on ALL channels including the BBC. It is worth it to watch stuff whilst recording. I tried to help somebody out but I get attacked. I will remain silent in future.

Actually you can and I do it all the time. You need to set up a network share on your computer pointing to the humax. Make sure Content sharing is enabled on the humax (settings/system/internet setting/content share). Set up an auto recording on the humax, then look at your network share. The file will appear there after a couple of minutes. (it is the 'program name+date+time-crop.ts') You can watch the file on the computer or any connected device. Be aware that if you watch it too early you may reach the end of the file. Best to leave it about 15 mins to allow Auto advert-removal to do its magic. Then watch ad free.
Interesting!
What program are you using to view the recording?
I tried it whilst writing the current version of DetectAds and couldn't get it to work.
Most programs, VLC, wget etc, just see the length of the file at the time you start watching the programme and retrieve that amount of data regardless of what has been written since. So if you start watching an hour long show after half an hour you will only retrieve the first half hour even though the programme is complete by then.

I tried to help somebody out but I get attacked.
Grow a thicker skin. You sometimes need it here especially if you 'challenge' the experts:D.
I will remain silent in future.
Please don't do that. I found it interesting and might give it a go to see if it works for me. And now you have the attention of 'the' detect ads expert.:D

I tried it using the network share and you are right it does work allowing you to watch the entire recording, but if you access the the recording via the webif Play option it does only play the amount currently recorded.

It would be quite simple to provide a decrypt only option for detectads to allow simultaneous decryption of BBC recordings without the overhead of ffmpeg and other parts of detectads processing.
However every time I think I may have time to start tinkering SWMBO comes up with something of higher priority :(

Sounds like a plan Myms.:)
And pretty much anything is a higher priority when SWMBO is concerned.

I tried to help somebody out but I get attacked. I will remain silent in future.
What are you talking about? Attacked? The forum is about debate as a means to distill knowledge from vagueness or misinformation. Everything gets its tyres kicked, there's no point running off hurt about it.

If you had been "attacked", you would know it.

It would be quite simple to provide a decrypt only option for detectads to allow simultaneous decryption of BBC recordings without the overhead of ffmpeg and other parts of detectads processing.
However every time I think I may have time to start tinkering SWMBO comes up with something of higher priority :(
It strikes me that chase-decryption (without ad detection) would be better rolled out as a separate facility, although there may then have to be a way for one to lock the other out.

It would be more interesting to crack the 0.ts problem.

It strikes me that chase-decryption (without ad detection) would be better rolled out as a separate facility,
It might be better as a separate package but there would be a lot more extra work duplicating, editing and testing all of the bits and pieces that are needed to create a new package.

While it is not a 'pointless exercise' I don't know how widespread the need for watching programmes over the network during recording actually is and is it really worth the extra effort of creating a new package.

For me, and I suspect, a good few others, it is the holy grail.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Back