Watch recordings across internet

MymsMan

Ad detector
Is it possible to watch recordings on a HDR-FOX T2 from a remote PC or Android tablet across the internet without exposing the T2 or rest of my home network to attack?

It depends how remote the PC / Tablet is, if it's on your Local Area Network, in other words if the HDR-FOX T2 and the PC / Tablet are in the same house, then the answer is no you are not exposing anything to attack because everything is behind the firewall provided by your router. If however you really mean 'across the internet' then you would have to open up a path from the internet through your router to your HDR-FOX T2 and this can open up your router to attack

Very remote e.g. NZ and OZ!
I know how to watch using the WebIf on local network but not sure how to set up the router to allow access whilst minimizing risk.

You would have to forward one or more ports on your router to the internal IP address of your Humax, there a list of some of the ports and the protocols, (some more secure than others), usually associated with them HERE, However safe (or un-safe) I say doing this is, someone on this forum will probably have a contrary opinion, I personally would not do this. There is some info. on how you would configure your router for port forwarding HERE

It's all probably pointless anyway as the upload data rate on your connection is almost certainly not going to be enough... never mind having to go half way round the world as well.

1Mbps upload, so I would probably need to FTP and then watch rather than stream.
I wouldn't attempt HD recording

I may run out of time to experiment and read those threads - more important the suitcase gets packed!

Back