Watching recordings over a network.

Jon Hobbs

Hi Guys,

I've had the T2 for about a year now and have recently tried to watch my recordings over a network (in the bedroom) using my new Android powered OUYA running XBMC.

This kind-of worked, but only for SD recordings, not encrypted HD recordings. I've done a bit of reading and it looks like I could get round this by installing custom firmware and a package called auto-unencrypt? I'm not sure whether I want to go down this route. If I install custom firmware will I lose recordings or have to set up all my series link recordings again?

Another option is for me to simply buy another T2 box from Amazon but I need to know this ... Is it safe to assume that I can watch HD recordings over the network using an identical Humax box, or will they still be encrypted? I would assume that it would be fine but then I also assumed it would be fine with other DNLA devices but obviously it's not.

You wont lose any recordings, recording schedules or favourites by installing the Custom Firmware. All recordings on the HDR internal hard disk are encrypted (Both Standard def. and Hi-def), however, the recordings are decrypted for various reasons, Standard def. recordings are decrypted if copied to an external USB hard disk and when streamed via DLNA, hi-def. recordings can be forced to do the same as SD with the removal of an ENC flag and other procedures, this is what the Custom Firmware package does for you. Humax have made it possible to stream Hi-def. content to another Humax box by using a combination of the decryption used for DLNA streaming and removal the of other safeguards, it has to be said that although these hurdles can be overcome using the CFW, that users do still encounter problems when trying to stream Hi-Def. content due to finding suitable DLNA clients and media players. There is an explanation of the CFW decryption options on the WiKi HERE

Thanks, that's really useful.

Does that mean that a second identical Humax box on the network still won't be able to stream HD recordings without custom firmware installed?

The HDR-Fox T2 will stream both Hi-Def. and Standard def. content to another HDR-Fox T2 or to an HD-Fox T2 without Custom Firmware, the HD-Fox T2 (the one without an internal hard disk) is commonly used as a second 'bedroom' box to receive streamed recordings from the HDR, unfortunately it has been discontinued although it is still available on Ebay etc.

Of course there is also Foxy.

http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/FTP_Hi-Def_Content_Using_FOXY

This is a PC windows based program that, when used in combination with FTP, will allow you to reset the flag for HiDef recordings without the use of CFW.

It's a bit cumbersome if you have a lot of files and cannot be automated.

I personally use CFW.

But note, watching HiDef files on some of these small devices does not necessarily work. On my iPad and iPhone the program tends to freeze or pixelate.
Also many apps can't play the associated HiDef sound, unlike StdDef it's Dolby and therefore licences ...

I suggest you test a program using foxy first.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I went for a hd fox t2 for the bedroom.

Out of interest - how is xbmc on the ouya now? Last time I tried it the video quality wasn't great. Probably been 2 months since I used it tho..

Posted on the move

Hi humates,
I currently have a HDR-Fox-T2 (CF installed) in the lounge and a HD-Fox-T2 in the kitchen connected over a network. It works a treat. I can watch full HD recordings stored in the box in the lounge whilst stuffing my face in the kitchen and the only downside is that I now weigh 8000 kg. So, to encourage me to sleep more and eat less (like that's going to help), I'd like to connect the TV in the bedroom to the recordings. I was going to buy another HD-Fox-T2, until I realised that they are discontinued and the price on ebay of a HD-unit is fairly close to the price of a HDR-unit from Humax direct. So, I'd like to know:
1) If I add a second HDR unit, will the two HDRs be able to play files from each other and will the HD be able to play files from both the others; or will having three boxes networked cause some sort of disruption in space-time that will mean it won't work (you can tell I'm highly technically knowlegeable)
2) What about opting for the YouView box instead? Would the that be compatible with the T2 units at all, or would that be a messy option requiring advanced technical goofing around?
Thanks in advance for those can can answer this and save me wasting time and money on something that won't work...

I have two HDRs and a HD, all running CF, all networked and talking nicely with each other. You will need to install the network shares automount package and set up shares: there are threads about this on this site.

I don't know much about the YouView box but I believe it is pretty locked down. The YouView box and its features and shortcomings are discussed here: http://hummy.tv/forum/threads/dtr-t1000-youview-shortcomings.1960/

Edit: You can also use the DLNA server function in the HDR to view SD and HD content on another HDR or a HD Fox. This does not require the CF to be installed. Viewing is one-way for the HD as it does not have a DLNA server.

The DLNA option will become more popular for us multi-HDR users when the server renaming package is ready for prime time. However, while there are only two HDR-FOXes (and no HD-FOXes) on the network there can be no confusion so it doesn't matter.

Non-customised DLNA streaming between HDRs is completely viable (StDef and HiDef). Custom firmware network sharing requires the target content to have been DLNA indexed and decrypted, so even with auto-decryption the content is available sooner after recording is complete by DLNA than by network share.

Network sharing makes the local HD/HDR behave as if the recording is on a local drive, so facilities such as setting and using bookmarks, moving and deleting the recording, and resuming where play was last stopped (on either machine) become available. The latter is very handy for starting to watch in one location and then finishing off elsewhere.

When there are only two HD/HDRs on the network, if you only want a one-way connection the foxlink package is the easiest set-up rather than network-shares-automount.

Thanks guys for this information: I was able to go ahead and order another HDR-Fox-T2 for the bedroom because of your help, and, out of the box, it will read files from the HDR in the lounge. I'll now tackle the detail of your advice to get them to work they way I want them to. Thanks again...

Hi, can someone advise me what I'm doing wrong please. I'm trying to watch a Hummy prog on my laptop. I can navigate to the toppy on my network 192.168.1 etc.. , select Browse, Enter a folder, click on a program, click Play, after a brief pause I get a VLC media player opening in the browser, and it says Now playing: /media/My Video... etc. however at this point it doesn't play, it just shows the VLC icon in the centre of the player window. I can click on pause, and then on play, but no file playing..

Any thoughts pls? The other half likes the idea of this to watch a cooking prog and pause it as she joins in...

It's never worked for me either. Tried with FF and IE.

Actually, just tried IE again and it gives a "Done, but with errors on page" message which reveals:

Line: 388
Char: 29
Code: 0
URI: http://humax/play/vlc.js

Line: 454
Char: 25
Code: 0
URI: http://humax/play/vlc.js

This VLC plugin stuff appears to be some imported crapware. Perhaps it is fixable...

Hi, can someone advise me what I'm doing wrong please. I'm trying to watch a Hummy prog on my laptop. I can navigate to the toppy on my network 192.168.1 etc.. , select Browse, Enter a folder, click on a program, click Play, after a brief pause I get a VLC media player opening in the browser, and it says Now playing: /media/My Video... etc. however at this point it doesn't play, it just shows the VLC icon in the centre of the player window. I can click on pause, and then on play, but no file playing..

Any thoughts pls? The other half likes the idea of this to watch a cooking prog and pause it as she joins in...
<sigh>

See Things Every... (click) section 5.

By "toppy", I presume that was a Freudian slip.

It is possible to play encrypted StDef (not HiDef) recordings using VLC, but you have to do so through the DLNA mechanism. That means turning on the Humax DLNA server (Menu >> Settings >> System >> Internet Setting >> Content Share = On), and accessing the content from VLC using UPnP:
I FOUND THE ANSWER!!

(View Playlist - Ctrl-L) on VLC player then expand Local Network, Universal Plug 'n Play and you'll see the Humax appear and you can pick a recording from the tree view. Easy to run in a window and full screen and it provides a slider for moving around.

It WORKS!!!
If this is the first time you have turned on the DLNA server, it will be some time before content becomes available.

Beyond this, you are in Custom Firmware territory and then all manner of possibilities open up.

Oops, apologies for the freudian slip!

I think I should probably have said that I do have CF installed, and also the auto-unprotect package. I have also already turned on the Humax DLNA server (a week or two back).
Annoyingly, having uninstalled / reinstalled VLC to upgrade, when I click on Universal Plug 'n Play it now crashes.
I can also find the files via Windows explorer and right clicking on the .ts file gives me the option to open with: VLC (nothing happens); Windows Media Player (crashes); Windows Live Movie Maker (shows a file 7 seconds long which is blank).
I can access the .ts file via VLC, via Add file, but again it won't play.

Having done the above and rebooted to complete the VLC upgrade I now find that I can play in the browser as I was first trying to. Confused... Oh well, I'm happy as I can play the videos now, although mildly curious as to why I can't play the file via the Windows explorer Open With.. route.

Thanks,
Jeddy

I think with VLC you can play the files through the menu >internet>universal plug 'n' play: its something like this. You should see the HDR Fox listed and be able to play the files within. Although you have the CF and auto-unprotect installed the files will still be encrypted. The easiest way to decrypt is to flag the required folder for auto-decrypt in Web-If: this can take a while if you have a lot of programmes to process. Once decrypted the programmes should play by double-clicking on the relevant TS in Windows Explorer, as long as VLC is set as the default application. Check out the Wiki and Black Hole's guides for more information.

Edit: OK, you already know the first bit: I should have read the previous posts a bit more carefully;)

....Once decrypted the programmes should play by double-clicking on the relevant TS in Windows Explorer, as long as VLC is set as the default application.

Yes, that works for both SD and HD recordings. Having the Custom Firmware installed and enabling autodecrypt, and auto-unprotect for HD recordings, is the key. HD recordings take a little longer to load.

Back