We The Undersigned...

Sandholme you don't have to keep sticking up for humax. we're on this site because we like the hummy, and hardly anyone is likely to ditch their unit (in some cases units, Brian :p), because of the update.

but sometimes we need to moan and bitch, it makes us feel better.

if humax is bothered by that, join the site, its not hard to find now, and if they feel they need to answer us moaning gits.

they can

Sandholme you don't have to keep sticking up for humax. we're on this site because we like the hummy, and hardly anyone is likely to ditch their unit (in some cases units, Brian :p), because of the update.
Just trying to inject a little reality about the business world. There is a mixture of people here, some understand about business and some who assume that just because one company works in a particular way that all others have to.

but sometimes we need to moan and bitch, it makes us feel better.
if humax is bothered by that, join the site, its not hard to find now, and if they feel they need to answer us moaning gits they can

I hope they do.

Just trying to inject a little reality about the business world. There is a mixture of people here, some understand about business and some who assume that just because one company works in a particular way that all others have to.

I hope they do.

The thing is the reality is that we have paid a high premium of £300, for a hd pvr that still isn't capable of the features we bought it for. I accept that issues arise in development, in such instances you have to drill down work out what you can deliver and communicate with your customer. This is basic professional business accumin.

We all have to remeber that £300 is a lot of money for a pvr, and most people still do not have a good enough hd signal to benefit from the hd functionality, and as such have bought this unit as a media hub and future hd pvr. I have no qualm with the developers that I am sure work hard, I just do not feel the need to appease Humax continually on forums - we seem to have forgotten that we are the customers in this relaionship, who have worked hard to pay for this box.

After all £300 is equivalent to about £500 gross in the pay packet - try explaining tha to your partner ;-). From a financial point of view the humax is only slightly cheaper than the panasonic twin hd pvr, with dlna server functionality, a dvd burner and internet tv - I have a panasonic tv and that worked without hitch from the day I bought it - food for thought.

£300 is Really Cheap for a pvr offering what the HDR offers. I don't know why people keep moaning that it is expensive when it clearly is not, I could easily buy one out of one weeks wages.

More than 15 years ago, I was paying approximately £700 for a VHS HiFi video recorder which would have probably equated to about a month's wages

I paid £650 for my first VCR in 1985 which was about a week's overtime at the time. Busy times!

I paid £650 for my first VCR in 1985 which was about a week's overtime at the time. Busy times!
I bet that it didn't do as much as the HDR.:D You must have had quite a well paid job, or done a lot of hours overtime.:D

£300 is Really Cheap for a pvr offering what the HDR offers. I don't know why people keep moaning that it is expensive when it clearly is not, I could easily buy one out of one weeks wages.

More than 15 years ago, I was paying approximately £700 for a VHS HiFi video recorder which would have probably equated to about a month's wages
I bought my first VHS recorder in about 1988 when I earned ~£7000 per annum. I can't remember what it cost but £700 would have been 10% of my gross annual earnings.
What's more it only took about 10 minutes and 36 button presses to programme whilst lying on the floor and then either the tape would run out half way through, you'd selected ITV instead of BBC or you'd find that you didn't really mean to recorder over that episode of Horizon (in the days when Horizon was worth watching).

I bought my first VCR in 1979! An NEC equivalent of the Sony SL-8000 (yes, Betamax, and I've still got some tapes!).

Programming this thing involved lying on the floor (like Sandholme) but the timer could only be set in 15 minute intervals and there was a limit of 3 programmes that could be set.

I shudder at the cost of it but it was revolutionary.

Like many on this forum I feel that we deserve better but when I think back to what it was like over 30 years ago we are truly blessed!

I still want the Portal now though!

Programming this thing involved lying on the floor (like Sandholme) but the timer could only be set in 15 minute intervals and there was a limit of 3 programmes that could be set.
!
Only 3 timers - Hah we had 4 :)
Of course you couldn't get tapes long enough to fit 4 programmes on.

The first one that I had was a Ferguson top loader with piano key controls, and I think it had a 7 day 1 event timer, and a wired remote control.:cool:

Back