Web-if/Browse Media Files/Opt+/Download

phit03

I've tried searching to see if anyone has raised this before and couldn't see anything so apologies if it has been asked before.

I want to be able to download video files over the internet when I'm not at home and I've tested this using a 3G connection and it works fine. However, I've used Remote Scheduling to set the box to wake up hourly and then sleep 15 minutes later every hour to enable new stuff to be scheduled as quickly as possible and to save energy when the box isn't recording. The only problem is that when the box sleeps, any download in progress is chopped. Is there any possibility of setting a flag to show that a download is in progress to stop the box from going to sleep until the download is complete?

Have you considered leaving the box on during the period that you would normally be downloading.
If I remember rightly, RS has the ability to force a reboot if you wish, when you have scheduled updates.
I don't use RS very often myself so a may not have remembered correctly.

Is there any possibility of setting a flag to show that a download is in progress to stop the box from going to sleep until the download is complete?
No.

Have you considered the stress you are putting on the system by power cycling 24 times a day?

Have you considered leaving the box on during the period that you would normally be downloading.
If I remember rightly, RS has the ability to force a reboot if you wish, when you have scheduled updates.
I don't use RS very often myself so a may not have remembered correctly.

Yes, I originally had the box setup to wake up every 30 minutes (without a corresponding sleep) to keep the box powered up most of the time even when RS had scheduled a reboot and the reboot had failed to restart the box (which seems to happen most of the time). However, in doing this, the box becomes quite hot and is obviously consuming more power than if it was sleeping.

No.

Have you considered the stress you are putting on the system by power cycling 24 times a day?

Yes, but I've also considered the stress caused by having the box powered up 24 hours a day and the extra power consumed and heat produced by doing this.
Does the box do a full power cycle when put to sleep or is it just the hard disk that is spun down and the processor put in a sleep state? The box must still have power to be able to wake from the sleep state. I have external USB disk drives that spin down after 5 minutes of no activity and wake when there is a signal on the bus so is doing the same thing on the HDR any different? I would imagine that powering the box off and on via the switch on the back panel or at the wall would cause stress but I'm not so sure about what happens when the box sleeps and then re-awakens.

I suspect that what I asked for is not possible as the sleep/wake mechanisms are probably managed at a lower level than the normal processing akin to the bios on a normal PC but I don't know hence the original question.

You can't have timer power ups without corresponding power downs (or vice versa), whe know this leads to misoperation (see Things Every... (click) section 18).

Yes it does a full power cycle, the only part which remains on power is the front panel module which contains the wake up timer. It is the hard drive which is the most likely failure point.

You can't have timer power ups without corresponding power downs (or vice versa), whe know this leads to misoperation (see Things Every... (click) section 18).

Yes it does a full power cycle, the only part which remains on power is the front panel module which contains the wake up timer. It is the hard drive which is the most likely failure point.

Is this the case when you have power saving mode turned off?

Is this the case when you have power saving mode turned off?
When is standby power is cut to the hard disk and most of the main PCB (with the exception of the aerial pass though circuit when power saving mode is turned off), the Humax is woken by the 'always-on' timer in the front panel, where the Remote control receiver is also housed

Back