Web If not loading?

Hiya

It's not my day today, first my hummy was crashing over and over, now Web If is refusing to load and I have no idea why...

I updated all packages this morning which have me the new version which seemed to be fine but now it's not loading at all in any browser on any of my devices...

I've switched off at the power but is still not working...

Any help would be much appreciated!

Ignore, it was nothing to do with the hummy, it was my stupid router deciding to give my tablet the same ip address as the hummy despite the fact both are supposed to be given static ip addresses each time... stupid router!!!!

You can add a DHCP reservation and assign this to a MAC address so router allocates the same address each time a device requests it. Not all routers will support this feature.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Routers don't give out static IP addresses.
You are correct, but it is probably just imprecise terminology by the poster. IP addresses can be reserved on my Virgin Media/ Netgear router: this is still allocation by DHCP but the address is effectively static. Of course the router would not then give out the same address to something else. It is likely that the poster gave the Hummy (or another network item) a true static address at some point but did not remove this address from the router's allocation pool.

You are correct, but it is probably just imprecise terminology by the poster. IP addresses can be reserved on my Virgin Media/ Netgear router: this is still allocation by DHCP but the address is effectively static. Of course the router would not then give out the same address to something else. It is likely that the poster gave the Hummy (or another network item) a true static address at some point but did not remove this address from the router's allocation pool.
Quite. My point was that the stupidity probably wasn't with the router.

Yep was me having set a static IP and not realising that the router, despite knowing there's device with a static IP, would decide to give that same address to another device...

Yep was me having set a static IP and not realising that the router, despite knowing there's device with a static IP, would decide to give that same address to another device...
That's not quite true either. The router has a pool of IP addresses to hand out for DHCP requests, out of its total "space" of 254 addresses (0 and 255 are often reserved, and sometimes 254). If you define a static address for a device (in the device's own settings), you need to then mark the address as reserved in the router (typically by setting the current device on that address as "never expire"), or to choose the address from outside the router's DHCP pool. If a device with a static address is not on line at the time a DHCP request comes in, assuming the static address is within the DHCP pool, the router doesn't know not to hand out that IP.

It is possible to alter the range of addresses available to the router as the DHCP pool, but this tends to be fiddly.

More info HERE (click).

Back