Web interface hangs and picture goes dark green

sasquartch

I've installed the custom firmware which seemed to go without incident and installed the full web interface. No extra modules or anything extra at this stage.
However I've found a couple of instances where I've tried to access the web interface from a laptop on the LAN and it either works (sometimes very slowly) or just appears to hang. The box itself isn't hung up as the front panel LCD display responds, but the picture is just a dark green with no sound.
Turning the HDR off and on again and everything comes back to life.
All I really want to do is to be able to set up recordings remotely but if this causes the box to play up it won't work for me.

Any ideas what the problem might be ?

I presume the dark green picture is on your TV (rather than on the laptop), the green screen is usually assosiated with HDMI sync problems when the Humax / TV is first turned on, They have to negotiate picture settings each time they connect and if the negotiation fails you get the green screen. I don't think it has ever been reported as being a problem during Web-If access, so I'm a bit lost for suggestions, however you can prove it is an HDMI problem by viewing the Humax output to the TV via scart rather than HDMA as the scart is not affected

Possibly the green screen on the TV and no sound is due to the loss of HDMI sync.

The question really is why this is happening.

Should I expect the web interface to be responsive at all times ?

I am running the latest firmware 1.27 ? with the latest CF so am assuming my setup is no different to anyone else's

I would say Yes, you should expect the web interface to be responsive at all times, apart from a few seconds immediately after tuning on the Humax, 1.02.27 is relatively new (both standard Humax and The Custom Firmware versions) but I think there has been enough time for uses to see this problem if it was going to happen. Has the green screen happened at any other time apart from when you access the Web-If ?

I don't know what would happen if you try to install CF 2.10 over 1.02.20 - it's meant for 1.02.27, and you won't have that unless you have deliberately loaded it.

Beginning to think the green screen isn't connected to the webif after all. Messing around last night I had one instance where the screen was green, switched the TV to another HDMI input then back again and it then worked. So it looks like I might have a HDMI sync issue, albeit very internittently.

Any suggestions on what might cause an intermittent sync issue ? As far as I can tell the only thing I can try is another HDMI cable, I am using (I think) an unbranded 1.8m cable (not the one that came with the HDR) - is it worth trying another cable ?

If you have another HDMI cable try it, but I wouldn't buy another because the chance of it being the cable is small, the most common 'green screen events' happen when the Humax is recording from standby (With no TV out) and then the Humax is switched out of standby. I would point out that 'green screen' happens with standard Humax firmware, it is not linked to the Custom Firmware Package, Problems are reported more often with Sony and Samsung TV's (usually the older models)

Interesting.

The TV is about 5 years old, a Toshiba 37WLT68 I think. I'll try another cable if it gets any worse, it's a very intermittent problem so difficult to conclusively prove what's happening.

the most common 'green screen events' happen when the Humax is recording from standby (With no TV out) and then the Humax is switched out of standby.
That's probably why I had a green screen on my Sony/Foxsat HDR setup the other day then. I had to unplug/replug the HDMI cable to fix it. I'll look for that combination of events if I get a G/S again.

Back