web page problem

sleepypete

I put the custom firmware on over a year ago and i'm very impressed at it's quality and reliability - well done dev. guys. Unfortunately i have recently noticed a problem.
i haven't used the web front end for months but when i tried it last week there was no response. after a couple of reboots i thought a good update would solve things, so i put on the latest firmware. this went on without a hitch but the Web pages are still unavailable; nor can i telnet.
i can see from a port scan that 23, 53, 9000, 9001 and 9955 are open.
i can view the drive file system from my PC and also via ftp.

The Web pages and Telnet are unavailable.I cannot telnet, SSH or browse to any ports.
Any ideas? Many thanks.

Port 23 is the telnet port so you should be able to connect to that if it's open. Your web server isn't running if port 80 isn't open but you'll need to get access via telnet to find out why. If you can connect via FTP and SMB then other ports are open too but not showing in your port scan for some reason.
What happens when you try and connect via telnet? What OS and client are you using?

Once at the CLI, I'd suggest trying service first to see if the mongoose service is set to auto start. Mongoose provides the web server so needs to be running.

sorry port 21, ftp, is open not 23. so i cannot telnet in at all.

if the ip address had changed i wouldn't be able to port scan the device or connect to it through file share.

Sorry, my mistake.

Tricky one this. I think you need to refresh the custom software on disk, but if the firmware Telnet is being disabled (as it can be from the WebIF settings to allow a secure connection) just reinstalling the custom firmware will make no difference.

You say you have FTP - is that to the standard Humax FTP or the custom betaftpd (for which the standard server has to be turned off in the menus)? If you can access /mod, rename the directory tree and then the CF should fire up the minimal loader web page and let you reload the packages.

Otherwise I think you need a special rescue build of the CF which forces Telnet access regardless of anything else going on.

It's quite possible that your Humax has updated itself back to an official firmware release. I'd try re-flashing the custom - with more recent CFW releases you can tell it's installed because it shows the version number on the front panel during boot but if you have/had an older version there wouldn't be a sign.

LOL! That seems the most obvious, when the OP says "put on the latest firmware" I presumed that meant the latest CF. He wouldn't be the first to load the standard firmware instead!

i was just about post back saying 'of course i put the latest custom firmware on -duh!' but i checked and you were totally right. i must have reflashed the standard version. i downloaded the latest custom file and put it on the same stick as before and the file sizes were different!! what a muppet. It's all working fine now - many thanks.

Back