WebIF didn't install properly, unable to get back to bootstrap page. Or any page after fiddling.

Cromel

Hi guys I am not a noob at this, I installed and upgraded the firmware on my old HD-Fox several times without any problems.

After reading all the warnings about installing CFW on the new 3.01.06 firmware I decided to take the plunge and install it anyway.

I don't think the problem relates to the fact that I have the newest firmware though as the procedure went well until I got to the bootstrap "Download and install the full web interface" button.

The packages started to install and I got a failure saying file locked - can't remember the filename it was something opkg in temp folder. I retried and got a lot further until it failed again (seemed like it didn't download a package properly).

Rebooted and tried again but this time I just got a directory listing instead of the webif page, with no yellow button to download the webif. Reprogrammed the box with USB stick again, except this time it reprogrammed it really fast as if it wasn't reading anything, just verifying.

I thought to wipe the firmware off the box so went through the return to RMA settings on the wiki (via telnet, since my webif isn't working).

Now I have no custom firmware, not even the rudimentary one to connect via the browser. Oh and now I have RMA on the front panel on bootup too. I can still telnet but have no idea where to go next.

Can you help please?

Just to confirm, this is a new HDR that came with 1.03.06 firmware installed? Out of interest, is it old style hardware or the new 'RE' version that has the two aerial terminals arranged vertically?

Was it the new custom firmware 1.03.06/ CF 2.19 version that you tried to install? If reinstalling this does not work, I would try reflashing with the extracted 'official' 1.03.06 firmware provided by AF123: http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/27267442/file.html to return to a non-customised state. If this works OK, I'd then try and install the customised version again.

With great respect to AF123 the 1.3.06 firmware is not the official release so I'm reluctant to flash it. I would rather wait for a couple of months to see if an official update becomes available. The box works perfectly with normal functions so I can live with it for a while like that.
Yes it is the RE version, bought from Argos last week. I don't think that is the problem though, I think it was network failure while going through the webif download/installation. Also I didn't flash the firmware, just the 2.19 CFW.

With great respect to AF123 the 1.3.06 firmware is not the official release so I'm reluctant to flash it. I would rather wait for a couple of months to see if an official update becomes available. The box works perfectly with normal functions so I can live with it for a while like that.
Yes it is the RE version, bought from Argos last week. I don't think that is the problem though, I think it was network failure while going through the webif download/installation. Also I didn't flash the firmware, just the 2.19 CFW.

You were meant to flash the 1.03.06 CFW on that, that is why the developers have expended so much time on it. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling webif via Telnet?

You are quite correct, the official CFW 1.03.06 is not posted yet, but I would give it a go if I were you. I have had no hesitation in the past putting CFW on a brand new box. Anyway, from what you say, you have already put the CFW on your box, albeit the wrong version. If there is a later official update, the CFW will be overwritten unless you take precautions, anyway.

Note to af123: Any chance of posting the official 1.03.06 FW as a route back for cautious people?

According to the Wiki entry http://wiki.hummy.tv/wiki/Remove_Modified_Firmware the fact that you have 'RMA' on the screen means that the removal procedure has worked. However, it recommends reinstalling the official firmware to finish off the process. This final stage might not be necessary (AF123 or one of the other gurus may have a considered option on this, I can only speculate) and there is a procedure to remove the 'RMA' message described in the same link, though this is intended to be used if the message persists after reinstallation of the official firmware. I have no direct experience of this, but now the CF has been removed, you could try reinstalling it: there is a chance you won't encounter the problems you had before.

You were meant to flash the 1.03.06 CFW on that, that is why the developers have expended so much time on it. Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling webif via Telnet?

You are quite correct, the official CFW 1.03.06 is not posted yet, but I would give it a go if I were you. I have had no hesitation in the past putting CFW on a brand new box. Anyway, from what you say, you have already put the CFW on your box, albeit the wrong version. If there is a later official update, the CFW will be overwritten unless you take precautions, anyway.

Note to af123: Any chance of posting the official 1.03.06 FW as a route back for cautious people?

Already posted by af123 XOriginal FW
HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06.zip

Are you still in this state? I have uploaded a 1.03.06 upgrade file to http://www63.zippyshare.com/v/27267442/file.html

This is constructed from flash extracts provided by Mike Somers and The Asgard but should restore your box to official 1.03.06 or as close as makes no difference.

If I am reading the wiki correctly, I believe that the 2.19 firmware is an add-on to the stock (or "Original") firmware _not_ a hack of the stock firmware.

I downloaded the file: HDR_FOX_T2_1.03.06_mod_2.19.zip, which I believe is the correct custom firmware for my /RE box. But I didn't install the stock 1.03.06 firmware because af123 stated this on another thread:

The Asgard said:
Currently running 1.03.06. Do I need to downgrade or can I just install the af123's 1.03.06 and CF 2.19 directly?

af123 said:
Just install the CF2.19 update directly.

Currently there is an extracted version of stock firmware 1.03.06, (which is probably perfect) but it hasn't been supplied by Humax as an official release, so I'm a bit nervous about installing it over the firmware supplied with my box.

I have tried to re-install CF2.19 a few times today but each time it runs through the procedure and seems successful but it doesn't make any difference to the lack of a web interface. The strange thing is, when I perform the install it goes lightning fast as though it's not really performing the install at all.

Cheers for all the replies guys, I hope I've explained myself better this time

Try telneting into the box and type the following:
Code:
diag resetrma
Reboot and you should be able to access the web interface install screen. If not then try telnet again:
Code:
opkg install webif

Try telneting into the box and type the following:
Code:
diag resetrma
Reboot and you should be able to access the web interface install screen. If not then try telnet again:
Code:
opkg install webif

Hi xyz321.

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried resetrma yesterday, that's what got me the RMA on the front panel. Tried it again out of interest but no go.

Code:
humax# opkg install webif
Unknown package 'webif'.
Collected errors:
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package webif.
* opkg_finalize_intercepts: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.
* rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.
* rm_r: Failed to open dir : No such file or directory.

How about inserting the specially named file that resets everything? I read it somewhere but can't remember the name. However I have no idea how to create a file in unix without vim. ftp is not working (not even the built-in one) so I can't copy one from windows. Maybe create it in Windows and copy it from the USB drive?

Got recordings starting in 20 minutes so must leave it for an hour or two.

There seems to be a mismatch between CF 2.19 and the resetrma diagnostic. I have asked af123 for clarification as to which one is correct.

Hooray! you did it.

Try running diag resetrma now. I've updated it to support newer CFW versions.

I tried diag resetrma and after reboot the Install Full Web Interface appeared, the interface installed correctly and I now have a full, beautiful, web interface to play with. Thank you for all your help..

Back