WebIF Media Player

OK, glad you like it - I can't fault Skifta + MXPlayer (set as default) for SD etc. - it just works. HD is a different matter of course - it does try but the audio is choppy and the video is "slow motion"

Still have not tried an HD file direct on the Asus - will try and find time for that tomorrow.

Thanks for the info on the trick with "Extract as MP3" - I have saved the file (and a copy of your post) so I will get around to trying that.

I have been experimenting with HD files with another program, multiAVCHD, which is not for the feint hearted (I don't understand half of the options/settings) but when it works you can burn an HD .ts file to a DVD in AVCHD format - which will then play in most domestic Blu ray players - giving superb quality. Unfortunately (further to your query regarding ffmpeg and HD files) it always fails on raw, straight from the HDR, .ts files because it can't demux the audio and ffmpeg is one of the last things it tries before bombing out! If I use something else to remux or transcode (yawn) the file first then it works a treat and is pretty quick.

AF123 - how about adding this as a WebIF option along side extract audio?

MX Player looks good - seems to play the raw streamed TS files without getting confused by the many internal data streams like other players did, so makes my hack unnecessary (at least for SD files).

But for the record, the re-purposing of Extract-as-MP3 to Convert-to-MPG just needs the ffmpeg package (if you haven't it already), and changes to one webif file - not so neat but functional. Please get the attached file, change the file extension back to ".jim" (only certain extensions allowed in this forum), and copy over the file at "/mod/var/mongoose/cgi-bin/browse/audio.jim". (Take a backup of the original to be safe.) To use, decrypt the ts file so the Extract Audio OPT option is enabled, then use that menu option which will kick off the MPG conversion. Seems ffmpeg doesn't need the map options I was using earlier - must already strip out all but the main audio & video when outputting to ".mpg" files. Not sure what ffmpeg will do with HD files...

Tyrken - just a quick update - have tried a short HD file directly on the micro SD on the Asus/MX Player - it did not understand .ts so converted to MP4 - got continuous video of good quality BUT it was jerky - seemed to be displaying one frame out of two or three - audio was fine for about 1 minute then just disappeared!

I will try some other formats but not looking good for HD on the Transformer?

Did your sample HiDef include some trailer? The audio stream is known to change format between the trailers and the actual programme, and we have found lots of players can't make the switch. Using nicesplice to remove the trailers resolves the problem.

No - it was a cut out section of Downton Abbey Xmas edition! It just happens I have this on the NAS and use this for testing purposes - funnily enough I am just burning to a Blu Ray to see if it works OK (recent addition to the PC!)

Apologies to AF123 and the other BYTs who actually give up their time and do this stuff, but I've had a little brainwave.

How about the OPT+ menu not only offering to download (actually, on that subject, would it be possible to grey out the download option if the proper flags haven't been sorted? Maybe it does already), but also have a "play" option.

I don't know enough to say how this could be done - my guess is a bit of script that could fire up wget and pass it the parameters to buffer in a pre-set folder, and then trigger VLC to play it... or even give VLC the parameters to start a network stream (buffer preferred because of transport control).

I don't know what the equivalent would be for HiDef, I make a point of only streaming StDef to my PC.

Hi I may be out of line here but Raydon has added Play to webif on Foxsat site SD only though as HD not yet decodable on Freesat but you just point to file on media list and press play if it helps
http://www.avforums.com/forums/freesat/1576094-vlc-player-plug-foxsat-hdr.html

Thanks for that bit of information - I was not aware of that I will give it a go on my Foxsat HDR (Not updated that so promptly as the T2)
Of course this is an HDR-Fox T2 thread (Freeview) and not Foxsat HDR - It gets a bit confusing I am always hitting the wrong tab in my browser and wondering why I get "page not found" then I realise I am trying to access the one that's not on!

I hadn't spotted that either - I'll talk to Raydon and look to port it to the HDR Fox!

Where do I find this string? What format would it be? Thanks
Presuming you have the custom firmware/software installed, open the Web Interface and click Browse Media Files, then find the recording you want to stream to VLC and click its name - an information panel pops up including a line titled "DLNA URL". Right-click to copy it, then in VLC click Media... Open Network Stream and paste the URL into the address box. The format is something like http://[IP address]:9000/web/media/nnn.TS.

It can also be done without the custom software. For more info see HERE (click).

A. I did hack the "Extract to audio" function of the webif to be "Convert to mpg" instead, with the active command changed to:

/mod/bin/ffmpeg -y -benchmark -v 0 -i $rfile -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -vcodec copy -acodec copy "${base}.mpg"​

But only just started looking at this & unsure how to extend webif cleanly...

I've added this to my development copy of the web interface so it will be in the next release an another option in the context menu. Thanks Tryken.

Back