[webif] Web Interface 1.2.3

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
It has come to my notice that although .MP4 files get DLNA-indexed, they do not acquire the DLNA icon in the WebIF media browser. I appreciate the particular usefulness is specifically for decrypting .TS, and that listing other media file types is a concession, but in the current advanced state of refinement this seems to be a gap.

Something that puzzled me today was that some recordings from Motors TV showed up as HD in the media browser. This was somewhat hilarious, as their broadcasts are actually spectacularly low def (dunno how/why they get such a lousy picture - the bandwidth doesn't actually seem to be any lower...).
Anyway, was planning to post about it when I realised that somebody not only observed the same thing but figured out the cause, some months back:
A couple of minor observations.
In Web-If>Browse Media Files, anything recorded from an SD channel transmitted on an HD multiplex (e.g. Film 4+1) is flagged as 'HD'.
While a recording is ongoing, the symbol in Web-If>Browse Media Files is the 'flash' symbol; the one you get with a power failure. Is this intentional? When complete, the 'flash' symbol is replaced with the usual film strip symbol.

Perhaps this report got missed though, as a result of the WebIF threads getting a bit out of date/sync?

Thanks for the prompt, I'll look at that. I fixed the flash symbol during recording a while back but not the HD flag.

Just spotted a tweet for 1.2.3-5, though it's still using the link to the old thread :)
Haven't installed yet though (they're watching the soaps... groan).

Is there a changelog somewhere?

It fixes a minor bug that I reported with dlnahelper locking, don't know if it changed anything else

I've noticed this (in the course of fiddling with something else):

auto-unprotect depends on:
webif (>= 1.2.0-6)

webif depends on:
auto-unprotect (>= 2.0.0-1)

Circular dependencies? I can't for the life of me work out why webif should depend on auto-unprotect. I thought stuff like this was optional?

You can update packages without disrupting the normal usage of the machine.
I try to avoid it though - I don't like any crash to be remotely possibly my fault :)
In fact, if the box is doing 2 recordings I won't even use the TV interface to move recordings (only delete) as it locked up once when I tried that.

I'm not sure what the best thing to do about it would be, but it's not very user-friendly that clicking the "Run Diagnostic" button provides no on-screen feedback that something is happening. All the activity is displayed further down the web page, off the bottom of the displayed area. Is there some way to draw the user's attention to it?

It's not off the bottom of my page, but that is likely down to screen/font size - I agree it could be a lot more clearly highlighted.

It's something I have come to recognise when coaching older people (in particular) to use computers - every input requires positive feedback to show that the input has been accepted. Double-clicking is a case in point: the younger generation do not understand how difficult the elderly find it to hold a mouse still enough to achieve a double-click, or to have the right cadence on the button. I now teach right-click, then select an action from the drop down menu - each individual event results in a visible action (first click brings up a menu of options, second click makes it go away again, and then if it takes a while to implement the action at least you know you're probably not waiting in vain).

Scheduling a recording is similar: when you bring up the programme details and then select one of the actions, only a status output in very small text at the bottom of the panel tells you the action was successful, and this can be off the bottom of the panel's scroll bar.

I have a very long list of logs (keeping multiple generations with small size) and the diagnostic box appears below the level of the bottom of the log box so it is a long way down the page

Ideally it should appear just below the Run diagostic button when the button is pressed pushing the other buttons down the page

Something that puzzled me today was that some recordings from Motors TV showed up as HD in the media browser. This was somewhat hilarious, as their broadcasts are actually spectacularly low def (dunno how/why they get such a lousy picture - the bandwidth doesn't actually seem to be any lower...).
This is actually a bug in the hmt utility which is looking at the video format (MP2 versus H.264) rather than the definition. It will be fixed on the next update.

Back