[webif] Web Interface 1.4.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I figured that out once I'd woken up. I'm not a Linux person but the 's/this/that' construction has been used on Cix for as long as I can remember to correct a posting.
The "S" (substitute) editor command is old enough for a CoVid jab: Deutsch, L. Peter; Lampson, Butler W. (1967), "An online editor", Communications of the ACM, 10 (12) (page 16). It got lower-cased when Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie created the UI for ed in the new Unix OS a few years later. We walk in the footsteps of giants. Your personal computing device (as envisaged by Lampson) runs an OS inspired more (Linux, iOS, OSX, Android) or less (Windows) directly by Unix and, especially in the former case, probably depends on Deutsch's GhostScript interpreter for printing and PDF creation.

The "S" (substitute) editor command is old enough for a CoVid jab:
As am I - 66 last month.

CIX has never had the ability to edit a post due to the use of OLRs, so it's common to correct a non-obvious mistake in a post by commenting in the form s/this/that to that post on spotting the error.

As "s/old/new/" was conventional in all the editors (sed, vi, etc) whose command structure followed ed, it became used as shorthand in emails and postings: like^H^H^H^Hsimilar to the use of the Ctrl+H backspace command, and *bold*, _underline_.

Last edited:
webif beta 1.4.9-2 should sort it - it reverts that protocol change.
Yes, it times out eventually, as the previous posts show.
Here's how to fix it:
Code:
humax# sed -i "s/:http/:80/" /mod/webif/lib/pkg.class
Sorry. That one's my fault.
webif beta 1.4.9-2 is there now, with this fix.

The actual update is taking a long time - maybe for the same reason?

...but now checking for updates is practically instant.

The little green dot overlay on the folder icon on the webif browse page, to indicate the presence of a _duplicate folder within, has disappeared.

Was present couple of weeks ago. Very useful for tidying and freeing up space.

TBH it was a bit daft: somehow I missed that there were two other instances of the exact same two lines that I was changing. But this is what beta is for ... If it had caused a major problem it would have been noticed and fixed earlier!

The MAC address of the active interface, or the MAC address of the Ethernet interface, or both if different?

Should "the" IP address of the box be shown? What happens if some CF tweak should permit more than one active interface?

Should the System Information displays on the front page and the Diagnostics page be the same? Currently the system default encryption key, whose initial 12 hex digits are the Ethernet MAC address, is shown on the latter.

The MAC address of the active interface, or the MAC address of the Ethernet interface, or both if different?
I was only thinking of reproducing the information which is already displayed on the product label, so it is available without having to delve into dark holes - useful if trying to guide a newbie (should it happen we need that info).

Should "the" IP address of the box be shown?
Already shown in the browser address bar, shirley

What happens if some CF tweak should permit more than one active interface?
Is that likely? Does it matter?

Should the System Information displays on the front page and the Diagnostics page be the same?
If that means factoring out to a common function* maintainable in one place only, I say yes.

* Apologies if "function" is not the precisely correct technical description!

Currently the system default encryption key, whose initial 12 hex digits are the Ethernet MAC address, is shown on the latter.
I would have thought the currently active key is more relevant.

The rename option no longer allows the synopsis to be edited. I am trying to edit the first part of the synopsis so that auto dedup selects the right title. It allows me to manually edit the title but auto dedup of future episodes will overwrite my edits.

I am pretty sure I have done this before, but my memory isn’t what it was.

Strange. The hmt program that sets the new synopsis isn't being called. More digging needed.

An unquoted string blocked the rename but the diagnostic was being discarded. Fixed here.

@4ndy, you can fix this by changing guidance to "guidance" at l.33 of /mod/webif/html/browse/rename.jim.

Last edited:
Thanks /df. There were two occurrences of the word 'guidance'. I just change the second occurrence in the webif file editor and it has done the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back