[webif] Web Interface 1.4.x

Status
Not open for further replies.
/media is on a temporary filesystem in RAM. It (obviously) goes away when you switch off or reboot, so storing stuff there is a non-starter.
The symlinks therein get recreated at startup.
You need to store stuff under /mnt/hd2 to get it on disk rather than in memory.
This seems beyond your skill level from what you've said.

/media is on a temporary filesystem in RAM. It (obviously) goes away when you switch off or reboot, so storing stuff there is a non-starter.
The symlinks therein get recreated at startup.
You need to store stuff under /mnt/hd2 to get it on disk rather than in memory.
This seems beyond your skill level from what you've said.

I don't know how it works, at the end of the day - I did not know they were even symlinks links to be honest.
The gui allows you to to make them, so it understandable that I would expect it to work - lol.
Faffing about with with the command line is not something I am profitient at. Without instructions on what to type in its a none starter for me :(
I am quite happy to work with the limitations the box has, its just that its not clear from the gui that it was a limitation of the box, so thought it was a bug.

its just that its not clear from the gui that it was a limitation of the box
The GUI is quite dumb and has not been coded to take account of all the special cases such as creating folders in /media
Another set of special cases is if you install the FlatView package is you mustn't run most utilities like Decrypt, Crop against programmes in the [FlatView] folder but the GUI won't warn you - some lessons have to be learnt the hard way

you mustn't run most utilities like Decrypt, Crop against programmes in the [FlatView] folder
Or, indeed, on a USB-connected drive.

I think the point is that the WebIF has developed as a very useful tool for accessing the capabilities of the CF ecosystem by adding facilities as they came along; it was never coded to be idiot proof and released to a general public who never read the instructions.

That's a whoosh (the sound something makes when flying over somebody's head).

It was not mean to imply you in particular are in that exact category, it was a general observation.

That's a whoosh (the sound something makes when flying over somebody's head).

It was not mean to imply you in particular are in that exact category, it was a general observation.
I understood you completely, I did not take it personally. Just pointing out that in this case, it was reasonable to 'assume it would work' given that no one should ever assume anything - lol

For the record I am an idiot, but I try to do the best I can - lol.

So suppose that there was a "Download from Catch-up Service" buttton on the programme information pop-up (from WebIf EPG, eg) alongside "Record Programme/Series". Seems like that could save some effort. How might it work if it was wanted?

For the moment BBC iPlayer is the only Catch-up service that works on CFW3.13, so I'll consider that. Obvs youtube-dl must be installed.

By design or otherwise, there is no direct way to convert between BBC programme IDs (PIDs) used in iPlayer and the www.bbc.co.uk/programmes pages and the CRIDs used for the broadcast signal. However, you can extract the Title of the programme, URL-escape the text (in particular spaces to +s) and append the result to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/.

If the BBC website knows the programme, this should redirect to a specific /programmes URL with the PID as its last component. Now, if the page contains a URL matching /programmes/episode/<PID>, that is the desired iPlayer URL; if it contains /programmes/episodes/<PID>, you've found the series PID and its page, and we previously saw how to extract its individual episodes. At any rate the found page could be presented (eg in an iframe) with accompanying options to download directly and/or to queue for download (if qtube is installed). Otherwise if nothing was found there could be an error page perhaps with a link to the unsuccessful search.

A BBC PID matches the extended regular expression /(w[0-9bcdfghj-np-tv-z]{10}|[pbs][0-9bcdfghj-np-tv-z]{7})/ (with any luck): ie, w followed by 10 non-vowel alphanumerics, or one of p, b, s followed by 7 non-vowel alphanumerics.

For other catch-up services, one might consider a Google site: search for the exact Title (or perhaps Synopsis) text.

Any views? Or please split this into a separate thread if appropriate.

So suppose that there was a "Download from Catch-up Service" buttton on the programme information pop-up (from WebIf EPG, eg) alongside "Record Programme/Series". Seems like that could save some effort. How might it work if it was wanted?

I think this is too complex to be worth attempting,

In addition to the substantial problems you have already identified it would be necessary to change the webif substantially to take copies of the epg data base before it is discarded by the system and use that to display the historic epg data so that you can find the program to be downloaded.

An alternative might be to write a bookmarklet so that you could click an entry on your Bookmarks menu whilst viewing the iplayer/youtube site to add the program to the download queue. This would save the need to copy and paste URLs.

I assume Life Left is the (manufacturer's ?) estimate of when the disc is likely to fail.
On my webif if I hover over the Life left % value for Power On Hours on one of our boxes (91%) it has a little pop-up saying: "81829 of approximately 90000 hours" (it has 8171 used). So presumably 90,000 hours (just over 10 years continuous) is considered retirement time. The other Life Lefts have similar pop-ups.

The figure appears to be backwards - if there is no (predicted) life left it should be 0%, but with my hours it's showing I have 100% remaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back