Webshell and Fixdisk

Black Hole

May contain traces of nut
I realise this cannot be implemented with relevant personnel off-line, so I'm putting a stake in the ground as a wish list and possible discussion whether (and how) it should be implemented.

I have noted a lot of resistance to the use of the command line, even through webshell. I hypothesise that there would be little or no resistance if people didn't even realise they were being asked to use the command line.
  1. Install webshell as a dependency of web-if. Make it the default that webshell is installed, and then we wouldn't have to instruct anyone to install it themselves.

2. Launch fixdisk automatically at boot if a flag is detected. We could have an option in WebIF >> Diagnostics >> Disk Diagnostics which pre-configures fixdisk options (and sets the flag)*, and then reboots. If the flag is detected, the reboot enters Maintenance Mode and starts fixdisk. If fixdisk completes without error, automatically reboot to Normal Mode.

3. Tee fixdisk output to a persistent log file for later examination. Update: fixdisk logs are stored on /mnt/hd3 and available through the normal WebIF >> Diagnostics log viewer.

4. tmenu detects the running fixdisk session and offers to reconnect or abort to Normal Mode (with appropriate warnings).
* Updated to clarify in the light of subsequent posts.

Last edited:
I think part of the problem is the time that it takes to run fixdisk and persuading people to leave the humax switched on overnight to give it a chance to do its thing.

I would have little objection to No. 1 above and think that No. 2 above is ludicrous, so you want users to turn on their PVR to find it has automatically gone 'off-line' for a few hours without notice just when they needed to use it, also disabling any recordings that would have been made during those hours, it's too big brother for something that may not be needed

Last edited:
I agree with MymsMan, on one of my HDRs, it has an almost full 4GB HDD. It takes a long time to complete an fdisk run. I would not want one triggered automatically.

I know that it is only TV, but SWMBO has OCD and will not let me 'cull' any recordings, no matter how old they are. This is the reason that we have two HDRs in use. One for her stuff, and one for mine.

Last edited:
No. 2 above is ludicrous
I would not want one triggered automatically.
I'm not suggesting it triggers itself, only that it can run as a result of clicking a button without further intervention. Clicking the button (with the appropriate "are you sure" warnings) sets the flag and initiates a reboot, the flag is detected during boot and takes the appropriate action.

Either I didn't explain myself properly or you didn't read the proposition carefully enough,

I think part of the problem is the time that it takes to run fixdisk and persuading people to leave the humax switched on overnight to give it a chance to do its thing.
Not relevant when they can't be driven to the command line in the first place!

...or readers assumed incorrectly what would cause the flag to be set. I agree I didn't specify, but neither did I suggest the flag would be outside user control.

One possibility would be to use the existing recording/reminder scheduling system to schedule the fix-disk run to happen at a user specified time with a safety check before it actually started that there were no recordings scheduled for the next 4-6 hours.

2) Launch fixdisk automatically at boot if a flag is detected.

I'm not suggesting it triggers itself, only that it can run as a result of clicking a button without further intervention.

Either I didn't explain myself properly . . .

Can you not see that the two statements above contradict each other ?, You really need to explain yourself more clearly

Here is the original 2. before you edited it :-
2022-01-09_17.11.30.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the original 2. before you edited it :-
Nothing there states that anything is going to start automatically, unless a flag is detected. And it's fairly obvious that the only way this can get set is by a user enabling it in the WebIf. It shouldn't therefore come as a surprise when they enable something and it actually causes an effect.
Sometimes I think folks like moaning just for the sake of it. It's an option, it's not compulsory. If you don't want to use it then don't.

There was no explanation as to what sets the flag, is it the user or something automatically detecting that a fixdisk is required - who knows, at least 3 users thought it was the latter and also (as afterthought) BH decided it needed editing

Last edited:
It shouldn't take long if everything is OK. If everything isn't OK you need a run before it gets worse.

I run fdisk regularly and it has yet to find any issues. It takes 3-4 hours to complete the cycle. The reason it takes so long does not appear to be because it is finding and correcting issues.

Sometimes I think folks like moaning just for the sake of it.
Yup. The original post never said anything about fixdisk running of its own accord, that was never the intention, and it is the default position of certain people here to read the worst into things when it didn't exist. It is as important to comprehension not to read in what isn't there as it is to be able to read what is, and sometimes I doubt the ability to do even that.

I run fdisk regularly and it has yet to find any issues. It takes 3-4 hours to complete the cycle. The reason it takes so long does not appear to be because it is finding and correcting issues.
No great hardship to run that overnight, but I wonder why it takes so long.

It runs automatically on reboot, WHEN YOU'VE TOLD IT TO, like lots of other things you install do.

Back