Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURX 1 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive?

Burgensteen

Western Digital AV-GP WD10EURX 1 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - SATA/60 installed in a Humax Fox T2 as a replacement drive and not being recognized, instead just makes a sliding and clicking noise constantly. Do you think the drive is defective. I only have a very old IDE compatible pc so cant check the drive that way.

Thanks for any answers you can give.

Doesn't sound good, but it's worth checking.
I purchased, some while back, a device which offers me a conversion from PATA(IDE)/SATA to USB (with its own power connection, not to USB), which has stood me in good stead for testing and using HDDs of both types and also CD/DVD drives.
HTH

I have one of these WD drives in one of my HDR's. It has worked since day 1. And was recognised out of the box. It is an AF drive, but according to diagnostics, it's sectors were aligned without intervention from me. Not that that would make a difference to it being recognised on installation anyway.

Sounds like you have got a faulty drive.

I will take a look at the adaptors. Thanks for letting me know.
My PC does have USB & running XP but only just found out from dandnsmith about the adapters so unable to check that way.
Thanks for letting me know about your working as i wondered if I had ordered an incompatible one by mistake. I think I will be sending it back.

Thanks again for the quick help on this, very much appreciated

Burgensteen said:
instead just makes a sliding and clicking noise constantly
It sounds like the drive is fubar, unfortunately. There have been reports of some functioning drives not being recognised by the HDR so there is a chance the drive is OK, but the noise you describe is characteristic of a disk in its death throes:( It wouldn't hurt to test it further, as suggested in the posts above, but if you can't mount it on a PC I'd send it straight back.

Wallace, cracking new photo BTW! Tea and toast, and perhaps a nice chunk of Wensleydale, are in order!

Thanks guys. I bought an adapter and connected to pc. It makes the clicking and wushing noise then goes quiet. In disk manager it shows the drive (eventualy) but wont let me access it at all. I suppose this means its duff then?

It certainly sounds like it has turned into a paperweight.

Can you return it? Even if it 'bursts into life', I wouldn't trust it.

Gonna return it tomorrow. Its brand new from Ebuyer. Just wanted to confirm its duff before sending back for replacement.

To be honest I think it more likely the delivery man than Ebuyer to blame for it being knackered. I saw him throwing parcels around the back of the van trying to find mine so god knows how many times this had happened to mine before he got to my house...

Thanks again for all your help.
Great forum....Great community :)

Thanks guys. I bought an adapter and connected to pc. It makes the clicking and wushing noise then goes quiet. In disk manager it shows the drive (eventualy) but wont let me access it at all. I suppose this means its duff then?
It is duff. If the electronics of the drive are functioning, windows will recognise it and report the make and model etc. but if you can't access or format it in disk manager it is faulty. On the bright side at least your HDR-Fox is not broken, except for the fact that it needs a new hard drive, of course;)

FYI for anyone thinking of getting one of these drives. I've had a WD10EURX installed for a couple of months. No problems. One nice thing was that, using the Sysmon package to view the temperature of the drive, it remained stable at 41 degrees after warming up. Last week, though, it shot up to 54 degrees and started up the fan. I wasn't too worried as the WD10EURX is temp rated at up to 70 degrees.

The noisey fan kicking-in in the evenings started bothering me. I'd previously installed the fan package for my old seagate drive and had stopped using it because the WD didn't need it. So I setup the fan to run at a constant (near-silent) 30% and now the WD10EURX is running at a constant 41 degrees again. I still don't know what triggered it to start getting hotter.

HDR Fox-T2 with 1TB Western Digital WD10EURX, FW 1.02.32 and CFW v2.19

Yes. That is what I have chosen to do. My fan is set at 40% and it certainly does not bother us.

I am very pleased with this and WD drives in general. As you can see from my sig, I have three HDR's and I have replaced the standard fit Seagate with Western Digital.

Back