Wget - content length is garbage

Sam Widges

I've just been trying to download some files using wget and I've had the message "content length <blah> is garbage. The files in question were both HD but were being downloaded to an ext3 filesystem, so it's not a space issue.

Here's what I'm seeing:

Code:
Processing "My Video/FILMS/The Lovely Bones_20110724_2058", Media ID is 2574
Getting http://127.0.0.1:9000/web/media/2574.TS
Connecting to 127.0.0.1:9000 (127.0.0.1:9000)
wget: content-length 9620406272 is garbage
Processing "My Video/FILMS/Eagle Eye_20110723_2243", Media ID is 2575
Getting http://127.0.0.1:9000/web/media/2575.TS
Connecting to 127.0.0.1:9000 (127.0.0.1:9000)
wget: content-length 6782660608 is garbage

Any thoughts?

This is on a box where it looks like the HD is failing, but the files in question seem to play perfectly well.

Edit - it's probably a size thing as these seem to be the only files so far that are over 4G. I'll stop replying to my own posts now and do some of my own digging...

IIRC we've seen this before and I hypothesised it is an overflow error on a 32-bit variable.

That's exactly what it looks like. I've seen a few more files that refuse to copy and they are all bigger than 4294967295 in size.

So is is wget cocking up, or the DLNA service? I wonder how wget knows the value is garbage? Do you get the file transferred anyway, or a truncated file, or nothing at all?

As a stop-gap, I think you're going to have to decrypt-copy files >4GB using the OPT+ button on the SUI.

Oooo... here's a thought: When I started streaming to HD-FOX and I tried a HiDef recording, it persistently froze at 56 minutes or something. Hypothesis: 4GB limit.

So is is wget cocking up, or the DLNA service? I wonder how wget knows the value is garbage? Do you get the file transferred anyway, or a truncated file, or nothing at all?

As a stop-gap, I think you're going to have to decrypt-copy files >4GB using the OPT+ button on the SUI.

Wget barfs and the transfer isn't even attempted, so nothing is downloaded.

Which version of wget are you using? The one that comes with busybox or the standalone package.

Code:
which wget

As a test, I've set off a wget on a 4.9GB HiDef file (hopefully decrypted on the fly) to PC, and the PC version of wget reports the file size correctly. At first sight this seems to exonerate the DLNA server and pin the blame on the version of wget in the MSP. I expect we knew that, but it doesn't hurt to check.

I'll update this post with how well the file downloaded later (it's going to take an hour on my network).

Update: Ha! I abandoned the download when I realised I was downloading to a FAT32 partition (and would therefore exceed the file size limit) :oops:

/bin/wget works fine and takes a similar amount of time to transfer, so I've just edited my script to use that for the moment. So, there's no hurry to go 64-bit or for extra dependencies :)

Back