What a Foxsat HDR remote control looks like on the inside !

Get Go

Even after the great tip [scratch off the paint] by fatbloke, my OK button on my remote was very poor. So I opened it up to see if I could fix it. There was some moisture inside under the volume and channel rocker keys, but apart from that not much [I didn't have any issue those keys!]

I cleaned the circuit board and the keypad's underside with isopropyl alcohol on cotton buds. And I was amazed to find it fixed my remote. Even while cleaning it I really didn't think it was going to work.
But work it did and the difference is astonishing. I used to have to ram the OK button into the remote, and even then it was touch and go. A bloody nightmare if I had to enter text like when renaming a file. And once fixed I also realised I had the same problem with the power button.

I took some photos and I've posted them to help any one else who might want to do the same.

I found the top and the bottom covers are clipped together. The top cover has little female recesses that receive the bottom cover's male clip heads.

I managed to break at least three of the top cover's female recesses when prizing it open. It seems to be made from a relatively brittle plastic. Thankfully when I closed it up there is still enough good clips to hold it securely.

Update: I came across a tip [after I had opened mine using shop loyalty cards ] that recommended guitar plectrums to pries it open with which seemed like a good idea.

Hi Get Go and thanks for returning the favor. Just taken apart my remote and given it a good clean as the pvr and ok buttons were almost useless, and yes it now works perfectly. It was a problem for my mum because she would turn the TV on with the TV button and then press the pvr button to turn the Humax on. But most of the time it didn't work so when she pressed the power button it just turned the TV back off and she sat there in darkness wondering what was going on! I have just bought her a Harmony 300 (£15 from amazon) that turns both the TV and Humax on/off at the same time when you press the power button which is perfect for her. However i would rather use the Humax remote as I'm so used to it, so many thanks.

You're welcome fatbloke. Delighted it was of help to you. It's great to have been able to return the favor. I wouldn't have twigged to your paint fix in a million years.

Between the remote being cleaned and your tip, its like a new machine. I'm amazed I put up with it the way it was for so long.

I found my old remote and gave it a good clean as instructed. Unfortunately it is still rubbish, but better than it was, at least all the buttons work, I just have to press some a lot harder than others.

Did you use isopropyl alcohol? Pity it didn't work. The difference on my mine was like night and day, I was amazed.

Did you use isopropyl alcohol? Pity it didn't work. The difference on my mine was like night and day, I was amazed.
I just cleaned it again and this time I made a better job of the black keypad things and it seems to work perfectly now. :)

Good to hear its fixed :)

For anyone else considering opening their remote there is a thread with some good links and tips on opening a remote:
http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/remote-control-rm-f01-ok-button-erratic-operation

EDIT: Just a word of warning. The moderator over at my humax.org censors links and posts to this forum. I added a link to this thread but he remove it. I added a 2nd post with another link and the post was removed entirely!

In a private message I was told that he doesn't allow posts to forums that "discuss removal of encryption". Which is a bit of a joke seeing as in the very same thread he linked to digital spy forum and it "discusses removal of encryption".
For example:
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=50829547&postcount=11
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=50810738&postcount=2

I've tried to discuss the issue but I'm sure that discussion will be censored too:
http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/why-are-my-posts-being-censored#post-3738
Yeah, as I thought the entire thread was deleted.

Seeing as he won't address the lack of logic to his position, to the point of not even allowing an open discussion on the matter I can only conclude it's for another reason. Does he feel hummy.tv is a competitor or threat to his own form?

Yes I know. Presumably your post means that those particularly clear instructions and photos won't work on the identical looking RM-F01 that I have with my HDR? If that is the case, then please remove my post.

Yes I know. Presumably your post means that those particularly clear instructions and photos won't work on the identical looking RM-F01 that I have with my HDR? If that is the case, then please remove my post.

I think it's much the same, You just need to find the location of the male / female 'clips'

I am also suffering problems with the OK button on my RM-FO1remote, which is driving me mad. Unfortunately due to arthritis in my hands I am unable to carry out the excellent tips on this forum to prise open the remote and to clean it,so it is looking like that I will have to buy a replacement remote for my Foxsat HDR Freesat Recorder.I would be obliged if anyone can point me in the right direction regarding which make and model will be compitable with my Foxsat and where I can get one from.

I am also suffering problems with the OK button on my RM-FO1remote, which is driving me mad. Unfortunately due to arthritis in my hands I am unable to carry out the excellent tips on this forum to prise open the remote and to clean it,so it is looking like that I will have to buy a replacement remote for my Foxsat HDR Freesat Recorder.I would be obliged if anyone can point me in the right direction regarding which make and model will be compitable with my Foxsat and where I can get one from.

Loads on fleabay

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-H...onEle_SatCableFreeview_RL&hash=item5ae07f466f

Even after the great tip [scratch off the paint] by fatbloke, my OK button on my remote was very poor. So I opened it up to see if I could fix it. There was some moisture inside under the volume and channel rocker keys, but apart from that not much [I didn't have any issue those keys!]

I cleaned the circuit board and the keypad's underside with isopropyl alcohol on cotton buds. And I was amazed to find it fixed my remote. Even while cleaning it I really didn't think it was going to work.
But work it did and the difference is astonishing. I used to have to ram the OK button into the remote, and even then it was touch and go. A bloody nightmare if I had to enter text like when renaming a file. And once fixed I also realised I had the same problem with the power button.

I took some photos and I've posted them to help any one else who might want to do the same.

I found the top and the bottom covers are clipped together. The top cover has little female recesses that receive the bottom cover's male clip heads.

I managed to break at least three of the top cover's female recesses when prizing it open. It seems to be made from a relatively brittle plastic. Thankfully when I closed it up there is still enough good clips to hold it securely.

Update: I came across a tip [after I had opened mine using shop loyalty cards ] that recommended guitar plectrums to pries it open with which seemed like a good idea.

Unfortunately these photos have been deleted :-(
Anyway, I was not confident to open the remote without breaking it,
but I can use the custom software to operate the remote remotely (!)
and now I realize I can do the same thing via my mobile phone :)
So if I break the remote, I have a fall-back while I await an ebay order.

Last edited:
The original poster has not been seen on the forum since 2012, and presumably must have deleted the photos from the hosting site.

You could click on the link in post 8 or 9. These lead to instructions, with photos, for disassembling the RM-04 remote control. This remote has a couple of different button designations but has the same layout internally to the RM-01.

Well, I finally had to open handset. When (the first ) one failed, I just bought another, and laid aside the dead one to be cleaned and sorted. Now the replacement has failed(wish) so I turn back to the dormant one and open it up. Signs of what I guess are body fats on the inside between the board and keypad surface. A drop of ethanol - well, a thorough nd careful cleaning of board, pad, case and the rest, and everything is like new. However, when reassembled, the PVR LED remains lit, unless another button is in use, when it extinguishes.
Dissasembled again, careful check, provided 3v to the battery terminals, and it works - but not when the case is closed up. Something must be in contact.
and the answer is - the bezel surrounding the OK button. having removed it to clean, it will go back in more than 1 way which aligns arrows up/down/left/right - but only one way which prevents rotation from the correct orientation.
Something to check before reassembly.

ARW 13.10.2019

Back