What are .series files?

TimK2015

Hi Folks

Since I mastered the DLNA index marker, decrypting and copying files from my HDR Fox T2s to my Windows PC I've noticed that there is a '.series' file in most of the folders.

Can anyone tell me what they are for?

Regards

TimK

It's a hidden system file maintained by the standard Humax software, that contains a record of the number of watched and unwatched recordings in that particular series folder.

TimK2015

Are you fully aware of the various decryption methods open to you? Transferring with decryption on-the-fly is slower than transferring a pre-decrypted file (which can take place in the background, not occupying "attended time"). See Things Every... (click) section 5 and follow the link to decryption.

Black Hole

Thanks. I'm decrypting on the box before transferring using the Samba share to the PC. At the moment I'm doing the decrypt file by file through Web-If as I'm catching up with all the 'junk' I've have recorded. How soon after recording would files be decrypted if I turned on the 'Auto-Decrypt' on a folder assuming I'm doing 2-3 recordings per day?

Regards

TimK

With the up-to-date software, decryption can start while the recording is in progress - certainly within minutes of the recording ending. It would take a long time (several days possibly) to catch up a full hard drive of recordings if you were to let loose recursive auto-decrypt on it for the first time, but that's a one-off hit.

As I'm almost done doing the existing stuff I'll try turning on the recursive auto-decrypt on some of the folders and see how we get on. Thanks for the info. Or should I go the whole hog and do it at the 'My Video' level?

P.S. Does 'Feed Me! refer to Audrey II from 'Little Shop of Horrors" or The Wire(?) in Doctor Who?

Regards

TimK

Thanks for the advice I have now sorted all the outstanding decrypts and set the 'Recursive Auto-Decrypt' at the top, My Video, folder on my machines. Last night's recording were all decrypted when I checked this morning after they had been on for 20 minutes or so. Just need to get my head round Sweeper now to move recordings, usually films, from My Video into a folder called Films or something similar.

Regards

TimK

image.jpg

The destination folder is chosen to have a square bracket prefix so that there are no accidents of interaction with other processes - flatten, for example, ignores folders with that prefix without it having to be explicitly excluded, and that is a common convention. It also means the Films folder will be found near the bottom of the native media list (easily navigated to by pressing the up cursor).

(Imagine what would happen if you had flatten installed as well as this rule, without the [ prefix! An alternative would be to not have the "create" part of the rule, pre-create the folder, and explicitly mark it "no flatten".)

Last edited:
Tried out the rule but added an 'Age' condition and all worked fine. Thanks for your help. Just needed the example to get the hang of how it works. How often does Sweeper run or is that configurable?

TimK

Tried out the rule but added an 'Age' condition and all worked fine. Thanks for your help. Just needed the example to get the hang of how it works. How often does Sweeper run or is that configurable?

TimK
Sweeper runs every 20 minutes and at end of recordings as part of the Auto process, frequency can be changed by editing chrontabs file

Back