What exactly happens when you format a PVR9300?

Michael Thomas

Does it just delete the file allocation table/directory information leaving the data sectors untouched?

Or does it format the whole drive (less reserved sectors) ?

If it does re-format the whole drive then does it map out bad sectors or not?

Where I am coming from is that I have a 6 month old machine and it has started dropping out/stuttering on recorded programmes. Humax stance is to re-format. OK...but if I do that and it does not map out any bad sectors then I am simply storing up problems for myself in the future when it is out of warranty.

Does it just delete the file allocation table/directory information leaving the data sectors untouched?
Yes.
Or does it format the whole drive (less reserved sectors) ?

If it does re-format the whole drive then does it map out bad sectors or not?
The file system has no provision for dealing with bad sectors as far as I know.
Where I am coming from is that I have a 6 month old machine and it has started dropping out/stuttering on recorded programmes. Humax stance is to re-format. OK...but if I do that and it does not map out any bad sectors then I am simply storing up problems for myself in the future when it is out of warranty.
Is it stuttering on all recordings or just recordings of certain series of programs?

Martin, many thanks for confirming what I also thought to be the case.

It only stutters on some recordings..not series related either.

TBH I think the safest course of action is simply to reformat it and then tell them it is still faulty.

Back