What exactly happens when you format a PVR9300?

Michael Thomas

Does it just delete the file allocation table/directory information leaving the data sectors untouched?

Or does it format the whole drive (less reserved sectors) ?

If it does re-format the whole drive then does it map out bad sectors or not?

Where I am coming from is that I have a 6 month old machine and it has started dropping out/stuttering on recorded programmes. Humax stance is to re-format. OK...but if I do that and it does not map out any bad sectors then I am simply storing up problems for myself in the future when it is out of warranty.

MartinLiddle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it just delete the file allocation table/directory information leaving the data sectors untouched?
Yes.
Or does it format the whole drive (less reserved sectors) ?

If it does re-format the whole drive then does it map out bad sectors or not?
The file system has no provision for dealing with bad sectors as far as I know.
Where I am coming from is that I have a 6 month old machine and it has started dropping out/stuttering on recorded programmes. Humax stance is to re-format. OK...but if I do that and it does not map out any bad sectors then I am simply storing up problems for myself in the future when it is out of warranty.
Is it stuttering on all recordings or just recordings of certain series of programs?

OP
M

Michael Thomas

Martin, many thanks for confirming what I also thought to be the case.

It only stutters on some recordings..not series related either.

TBH I think the safest course of action is simply to reformat it and then tell them it is still faulty.