What Format for a USB drive ?

timmy_toad

My Hummy is nearly full up, i need to move a lot of files to an external USB hard drive, in what Format should the USB drive be ?

I have done it Fat32 but that doesnt work, i am dammed sure that is what i have done before, stoopid dammed machine !.

I am doing the formatting with my Apple LapTop, i dont have NTFS as an option if this is what it should be !

Tim

FAT32 (Max filesize 4GB) should be fine, alternatively EXT3 linux format. Install the Custom Firmware y ou can copy the files directly to your MAC. Alternatively fit a new 1TB drive and get a usb cradle/dock for the internal drive. You can copy the existing rcordings from the original drive to the new one or just play them back using usb.

FAT32 (Max filesize 4GB) should be fine, alternatively EXT3 linux format. Install the Custom Firmware y ou can copy the files directly to your MAC. Alternatively fit a new 1TB drive and get a usb cradle/dock for the internal drive. You can copy the existing rcordings from the original drive to the new one or just play them back using usb.
Thank you Graham, very helpful, i read my manual back to front a few times and found i had a USB socket under the front panel, i plugged my External into that socket and my Hummy detected it immediately, boy was i pleased.
I have now succesfully copied a few hours of Recordings, but a little disappointed in the long time it took !.

I decided that i should NOT do anything else with Hummy while it was Copying files, was i correct ?.

Tim

Thank you Graham, very helpful, i read my manual back to front a few times and found i had a USB socket under the front panel, i plugged my External into that socket and my Hummy detected it immediately, boy was i pleased.
I have now succesfully copied a few hours of Recordings, but a little disappointed in the long time it took !.

I decided that i should NOT do anything else with Hummy while it was Copying files, was i correct ?.

Tim

You can use the box as normal while copying files. The box software allocates a low priority to servicing the USB port (which is why it takes a long time).

You can use the box as normal while copying files. The box software allocates a low priority to servicing the USB port (which is why it takes a long time).
Thanks again, thanks for the informartion, i dont think i would have found that info anywhere else !

Tim

Back